News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Book request: History of the Soviet Union

Started by Syt, April 15, 2009, 11:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Amazon US/UK/Germany are not much help.

Could anyone recommend a readable, comprehensive, exhaustive, not too biased history of the Soviet Union 1917 - 1991?

The book should cover both domestic politics and foreign/international politics.

It should not devote 80% of the book to Lenin/Stalin, 15% to Gorbachev and the remaining 5% to Khrushchev/Brezhnev, but should be focused a bit broader.

A history of Russia in 20th century would also be ok.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

And why the interest in this subject, Genosse Syt?  :yeahright:

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2009, 11:36:22 AM
Could anyone recommend a readable, comprehensive, exhaustive, not too biased history of the Soviet Union 1917 - 1991?

Gee, you're not asking for much.  :D

Only thing that comes to mind is I bought a copy of Decline and Fall of the Soviet Empire at an airport a few years back.  It lacks much of what you want, in that it only covers the post-Stalin era, and the writer was a former US news correspondent in Msocow and much of the book is from his own observations which means it very much lacks any pretense at being "comprehensive".  I don't know that I'd recommend it.

But maybe if you start with that book in Amazon it could suggest a few others...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I read "Utopia in power" back in Highschool.  Though it's outdated since the Soviet Union lived on for another 6 years or so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2009, 12:12:14 PM
I read "Utopia in power" back in Highschool.  Though it's outdated since the Soviet Union lived on for another 6 years or so.

We have access to a hell of a lot more information about the USSR than we did in the 80s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2009, 12:25:19 PM

We have access to a hell of a lot more information about the USSR than we did in the 80s.

Which is why this search is so frustrating. Oodles of stuff about Stalin, WW2, Lenin. Littl about post-war USSR (Last of the Empires would probably the best bet).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2009, 12:25:19 PM

Yeah but my Highschool library didn't have any books that weren't 10 years old at least.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Syt

Good recommendation, Seedy, I'll check it out.

I usually like books that give overviews; if a topic interests me I'll usually go for specialized books after that.
—Stephen Jay Gould