News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Changes at CIA and DoD

Started by CountDeMoney, April 27, 2011, 06:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

News was reporting that Leon Pannetta was leaving CIA for Department of Defense, and Petreus was going to head the CIA.  No links yet.

Thoughts, other than a frothing siezure by Hans?

CountDeMoney

FunkMonk

Can't they just clone Gates so he can remain SECDEF forever?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Siege

Yeah, I heard the news.
Did you know that GEN Petreus himself gave me a commendation for waking my Brigade's number 2 High Value Target back in 2007?
He is way too popular.
What's gonna happen when he calls his Legions on to Washington?
Or do you doubt that if one day he runs for the Presidency he is going to get my vote, and the rest of the army as well?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

katmai

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2011, 07:50:11 PM
He is way too popular.

Or do you doubt that if one day he runs for the Presidency he is going to get my vote, and the rest of the army as well?

I didn't think war criminals had right to vote.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Legbiter

You drill a hole in hole in his skull, and save the day. :hug:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Siege

Quote from: Legbiter on April 28, 2011, 08:07:54 PM

You drill a hole in hole in his skull, and save the day. :hug:

GEN Petreus is a good guy.
Believe me, I can tell when a GEN really cares about the men-at-arms or the small-folk.

derspiess

WTF does Panetta have on Obama to land an even higher profile job for which he has zero qualifications.  Oh well, I know some folks who will be happy he's moving on.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2011, 09:13:56 PM
WTF does Panetta have on Obama to land an even higher profile job for which he has zero qualifications.  Oh well, I know some folks who will be happy he's moving on.

Come on. High profile positions are all political appointments.
You don't have to know shit about the job.
Your secretary does.

DGuller

Did you know that GEN Petreus himself gave me a commendation for waking my Brigade's number 2 High Value Target back in 2007?
Why would you get a commendation for waking someone up?  And why would you wake a high value target, where you trying to tip him off?  And how did you get to be in position to wake him anyway?

grumbler

every time a CIA director has moved on, I've known people who have been happy!  :lol:

That's the nature of bureaucracy.  Panetta is no great leader, from what I have heard, but he seems to be a great manager, and that certainly is what the CIA needed.  I think he is going to the Playpen because he is extremely competent and well-respected on both sides of the aisle, and in his position that probably counts for more than military experience.  After all, Rumsfeld had prior military experience but not the competence or respect, and his failure in the playpen is attributable to those factors, i think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

He has the most pertinent qualification - the ability to handle a large complex budget and make required cuts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2011, 09:16:56 AM
He has the most pertinent qualification - the ability to handle a large complex budget and make required cuts.

He does have experience with budgets, I'll grant.  But making cuts??