Brits, jealous of US air powah, bitch about drones, in Brit-like fashion

Started by CountDeMoney, April 26, 2011, 04:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2011, 08:32:52 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2011, 08:21:09 AM
Re: the US reputation for bombing our own troops/allies, does anyone know if the friendly fire incidents dating back to US involvement in WWII are really statistically much different from our allies' when you calculate based upon the # of incidents divided by # of ground attack sorties flown?
No, they are not much different, from what i have seen.  It is just that no one flies much in the information age except the US.

Having said that, the incidence of FF by US lieutenant colonels in fighter/attack helicopter cockpits is apparently off the scale.

The Brits used to accept without all the whining that FF was a hazard of war.  For example, the RAF started off WW2  with two Spitfire kills.... of two Hurricanes.  Insofar as I know, not a single Brit outside of the slain pilot's family burst into tears.

There was a huge British FF incident in the desert, with hundreds of British soldiers killed.  I believe this was the worst FF case of its kind (exceeding even the three Canadians killed by two American jets in Afghanistan).

The first warship ever sunk by the Luftwaffe was a German destroyer.

I think the problem arises because many people have an anecdotal approach to deaths in the current wars, rather than a statistical one. If we take the Iraq war as an example, the US component of the coalition forces was by far the largest. Perhaps 80% of the shooting was done by the Americans (likely more); if so then we can expect 80% of friendly fire incidents to be performed by the Americans. This wouldn't raise any eyebrows if one was reading a history of the war; but, as we live through it, for every story about Brits or Canadians perpetrating friendly fire there will be four about the Americans. The evidence is clear to an unthinking person, Americans are four times as likely to commit friendly fire cockups as we are.

Brazen

Funnily enough I've just finished a feature about counter friendly fire technology and basically came to the conclusion that it's not much cop without support procedures and responsibility throughthe chain of command.

Wiki comes up with the goods detailing incidents from the War of the Roses through to Afghanistan and Iraq. No comparative statistics, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_fire#War_in_Afghanistan

Warspite

What's the complaint? That the British won't develop autonomous drones and will instead remain using human-controlled drones?

That's a weak troll; at least make fun of our bad teeth and obsession with class or something.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on April 27, 2011, 05:51:56 AM
Funnily enough I've just finished a feature about counter friendly fire technology and basically came to the conclusion that it's not much cop without support procedures and responsibility throughthe chain of command.

Wiki comes up with the goods detailing incidents from the War of the Roses through to Afghanistan and Iraq. No comparative statistics, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_fire#War_in_Afghanistan

:lol:

It lists the USS Liberty.  :lol:

Goddamned JIDF fucktards.  :lol:

Slargos

grumbler

Neither the Cap Arcona nor the USS Liberty were friendly fire incidents.  This is wikipedia, folks.  Wiki is the first stop on  the quest for knowledge, not the last stop.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2011, 06:49:59 AM
Neither the Cap Arcona nor the USS Liberty were friendly fire incidents.  This is wikipedia, folks.  Wiki is the first stop on  the quest for knowledge, not the last stop.

I mentioned Liberty precisely because it was not a FF incident as claimed by the article, and the Cap Arcona because I found the scope of it amusing.  :P

Alcibiades

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2011, 12:43:05 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 12:38:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2011, 12:33:10 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 26, 2011, 04:09:36 AM
I'm all for the US using more automated drones.
They already do. They are called "soldiers".

Now, the question is whether they should use more intelligent automated drones, like the ones the article is about or stay with the cheaper, less intelligent analog "meat and bones" versions.

To elaborate for the Americans [most of whom will miss the subtle nouances]: You're calling them stupid, right?

Only the tards who end up in the military. Speaking of which, I listen to a comedy radio show based in Chicago (not a gay one), and their view of American soldiers (retards who can't get a decent job) is the same as mine, so it can't be a "cultural divide". There are many Americans who rightly think that people who go into the military (discounting intelligence corps and the like) are largely human trash - which gives me hope.

Surprise, you're still a fucking retard.  And it is a very small nonvocal minority at that.  You see a lot of people at universities getting a degree and going into the military.  I'll be making $60,000 starting out in my FIRST year as an army officer, and in three years it will be $84,000+, guaranteed, full benefits.  How much do you make in Poland again?

Compared to college graduates now, where 45% of graduates are making less than $15,000 a year, seems like a smart choice to me, though maybe a bit harder than fags like you are used to.
(http://www.thepelicanpost.org/2011/04/19/higher-education-the-next-asset-bubble/)

TL:DR You're as dumb as ever.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

Well, in Eastern Europe what Marty says is probably true.  People do their best to escape military service there.  In the United States it is not.  The problem is simply that Marty doesn't understand the 1st world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2011, 10:33:22 AM
Well, in Eastern Europe what Marty says is probably true.  People do their best to escape military service there.  In the United States it is not.  The problem is simply that Marty doesn't understand the 1st world.

It is an act though - Marty understands just fine. He likes playing the nutbar barely a lawyer hate the US game though. I don't understand *why* he likes it so much, but there it is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2011, 10:36:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2011, 10:33:22 AM

It is an act though - Marty understands just fine. He likes playing the nutbar barely a lawyer hate the US game though. I don't understand *why* he likes it so much, but there it is.

I think he's simply dim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2011, 10:36:36 AM
Dunno.  It could be that the dumb almost-lawyer schtick is the closest he can come to sounding educated and western.  people who have met him tend to say otherwise, but they may be just saving his feelings.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 27, 2011, 09:38:23 AM
Surprise, you're still a fucking retard.  And it is a very small nonvocal minority at that.  You see a lot of people at universities getting a degree and going into the military.  I'll be making $60,000 starting out in my FIRST year as an army officer, and in three years it will be $84,000+, guaranteed, full benefits.  How much do you make in Poland again?

Compared to college graduates now, where 45% of graduates are making less than $15,000 a year, seems like a smart choice to me, though maybe a bit harder than fags like you are used to.
(http://www.thepelicanpost.org/2011/04/19/higher-education-the-next-asset-bubble/)

TL:DR You're as dumb as ever.

Also, what is he hoping for? Even if most Americans thought that people in the military were stupid - so what?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2011, 11:25:23 AM
Dunno.  It could be that the dumb almost-lawyer schtick is the closest he can come to sounding educated and western.  people who have met him tend to say otherwise, but they may be just saving his feelings.

He seemed pretty Western to me. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.