What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:22:47 AM
Oh yeah - my mom smoked all the time, including when pregnant, and there were ashtrays in the hall in my junior school for convenience of teachers.  :lol:
Oh, smoking was allowed in smoking carriages on the underground, the top floor of the bus and on the left hand side of cinemas.

There'd be a break mid-way through films.

Richard Hakluyt

Oh yes, as Brazen says, I used to carry a knife at least half of the time.

The UK press was in furore recently when a survey showed that 20% of children admitted to having carried a knife. As opposed to the 99% in my day  :D

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 15, 2009, 09:29:29 AM

The UK press was in furore recently when a survey showed that 20% of children admitted to having carried a knife. As opposed to the 99% in my day  :D

When I was in grade 6, my dad and I built a cross-bow from plans he had from an old popular science magazine. I took it in to school to show it off, no-one batted an eye.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on April 15, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
Oh yeah - my mom smoked all the time, including when pregnant, and there were ashtrays in the hall in my junior school for convenience of teachers.  :lol:
Oh, smoking was allowed in smoking carriages on the underground, the top floor of the bus and on the left hand side of cinemas.

Anyone remember the ubiquitous ash-trays that used to exist outside of elevators? I saw some the other day, a relic of a bye-gone era.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

I would perhaps get Ritalin if I was a kid these days. I showed some symptoms of AD/HD. Thankfully that stuff didn't exist when I was a kid.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:32:33 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 15, 2009, 09:27:59 AM

Anyone remember the ubiquitous ash-trays that used to exist outside of elevators? I saw some the other day, a relic of a bye-gone era.
Yeah, with that light tan sand in it.

You know, the old days were far, far better than these days.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:31:15 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 15, 2009, 09:29:29 AM

When I was in grade 6, my dad and I built a cross-bow from plans he had from an old popular science magazine. I took it in to school to show it off, no-one batted an eye.
I built a crossbow at school out of rulers and such.  I'd probably get expelled in this day and age.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

Just remembered another one.

When I was 12/13 I got into making my own rockets. I therefore ordered potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal from a chemical supplies company so I could mix up my own gunpowder. The rockets were rather crap btw, got a few trivial burns for my trouble and there was a small fire once; mostly the "rockets" just fizzled around at ground level trying to burn things rather than taking off  :(

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2009, 09:39:50 AM

Yeah, with that light tan sand in it.

You know, the old days were far, far better than these days.

Now that stuff is as lost in the past as bar spitoons.

Slargos

When I was an innocent kid in elementary school, we used to call the negro girl "the monkey" and she would laugh with us.

That shit wouldn't fly these days. Probably get you robbed by her coooouzins. Or knifed.

The only talking with negro women I get to partake of these days is, "No, I'm not interested in fucking you, no matter how cheap it is. Will you please release my arm?"

Granted, I still feel a bit embarrassed about the way we treated that poor girl.  :blush:

Not the hooker. My classmate.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 15, 2009, 09:41:35 AM

When I was 12/13 I got into making my own rockets. I therefore ordered potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal from a chemical supplies company so I could mix up my own gunpowder. The rockets were rather crap btw, got a few trivial burns for my trouble and there was a small fire once; mostly the "rockets" just fizzled around at ground level trying to burn things rather than taking off  :(

Heh in grade 8 a bunch of us geeky kids were into making explosives - we tried to get our teacher to order powdered metals for us, but on reading the labels he decided not to.  :lol:

My brother was injured making fireworks in science class - for a class project.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on April 15, 2009, 09:45:37 AM
When I was an innocent kid in elementary school, we used to call the negro girl "the monkey" and she would laugh with us.

Right.  :lol:

QuoteThe only talking with negro women I get to partake of these days is, "No, I'm not interested in fucking you, no matter how cheap it is. Will you please release my arm?"

This reads like you are accosting her.  :D

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:45:47 AM

Heh in grade 8 a bunch of us geeky kids were into making explosives - we tried to get our teacher to order powdered metals for us, but on reading the labels he decided not to.  :lol:

Yes, indeed. This was the sort of stuff nerdy well-behaved kids got up to back in the day. It's a good job that youngsters have got computers now, otherwise the restrictions placed on them would be intolerable.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:45:47 AM

:D

We had a brief flareup of acetone peroxide production in the late 90s (when the marvels of the Interweb revealed "The Anarchist's Cookbook") until the local paint store got a notice from the police that they should stop selling to minors and to this day I still can't really understand how that summer could pass by without even one fatality.