News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mac or PC? And what does it say about you?

Started by merithyn, April 24, 2011, 10:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a Mac person or a PC person?

Mac
PC
Neither, I still use a can on a string to communicate.

Malthus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 26, 2011, 06:38:23 PM
I will give a quick example:

Mac:

2.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
8 GB Ram
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU

$2874

iBUYPOWER X58 Core i7 System:

3.06 GHz Quad Core CPU
12 GB Ram
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GPU

$1350

I've listed pretty much the most important stuff about the computer. When configuring the iBUYPOWER system I upgraded the PSU to a 1000W one because by default they were still going to let you check out with 450W (probably wouldn't end well with the CPU/GPU on board.)

Where a Mac person would nitpick:

-Apple buys higher quality GPUs!

I'd respond that while different ATI manufacturers do have different build qualities, the iBUYPOWER people have all the major component manufacturers represented.

-Apple buys higher quality motherboards!

I'd respond again that the major Intel / AMD mobo manufacturers are represented by iBUYPOWER, iBUYPOWER has a generally positive reputation and there isn't much evidence of the factual type I have seen to substantiate this sort of difference.

-You didn't compare the exact same specs

You're right, you can't configure the iBUYPOWER system in question for 8GB of ram, it's 6 or 12. In the real world 6-8 is by far more than most anyone, even serious gamers, would need. 12 GB is overkill. The CPU isn't the same, it is a core i7 while all Mac Pros come with Xeon Nehalem processors.

At the end of the day though those are remarkably similar systems with remarkably distance price tags. And it's not some garbage Compaq or HP, it's a custom PC shop that has lots of positive reviews and generally good customer service.

As I said, it's money for time. I have no problem believing that you can save hundreds of even over a thousand dollars - if you know what you are doing.

But knowing what you are doing, and sourcing stuff properly, takes time. Personally, I'd rather pay someone else to take that effort for me. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

The problem with Apple isn't so much the products (even though they are fail) but the whole religious hysteria you have to embrace.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2011, 09:27:56 AM
The problem with Apple isn't so much the products (even though they are fail) but the whole religious hysteria you have to embrace.

That part is purely optional (but oh so fun). -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 09:24:37 AM
As I said, it's money for time. I have no problem believing that you can save hundreds of even over a thousand dollars - if you know what you are doing.

But knowing what you are doing, and sourcing stuff properly, takes time. Personally, I'd rather pay someone else to take that effort for me. 

Looks like you might be able to pay someone to do the research for you and still have money left over to make up the difference.

Actually, given sites like Languish exist, you could probably get good computer advice for free. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2011, 09:27:56 AM

The notion that anyone ought to care so much about the branding of a consumer product is fail, no matter which one you purport to care about - or against.

It is like actually giving a shit whether someone orders Coke or Pepsi.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2011, 10:17:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 09:24:37 AM

Looks like you might be able to pay someone to do the research for you and still have money left over to make up the difference.

Actually, given sites like Languish exist, you could probably get good computer advice for free. :lol:

No doubt - but that would require investing time and effort. For many, it is simply easier to buy an off-the-shelf product that does more or less what you want, even if it's more expensive, or doesn't have as many options (that you are unlikely to use).

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 10:34:06 AM
No doubt - but that would require investing time and effort. For many, it is simply easier to buy an off-the-shelf product that does more or less what you want, even if it's more expensive, or doesn't have as many options (that you are unlikely to use).

I think my message was confused because I added that second sentence.

I was suggesting that you could probably pay someone to tell you what PC to buy and still have money saved, post-purchase, from that of the equivalent Mac.  Amount of time expended on personal shopper is probably little. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

If it really required all that much effort, there wouldn't be so many "Which computer should I buy?" threads.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2011, 10:40:56 AM

If it really required all that much effort, there wouldn't be so many "Which computer should I buy?" threads.  :P

It isn't like it is a huge amount of effort - but then, a few hundred bucks isn't a huge amount of cash, depending on who you are.

Gotta look at both sides of the equation.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2011, 10:40:27 AM

I think my message was confused because I added that second sentence.

I was suggesting that you could probably pay someone to tell you what PC to buy and still have money saved, post-purchase, from that of the equivalent Mac.  Amount of time expended on personal shopper is probably little. :P

Yeah, but there is a time component to finding a reliable personal shopper who knows his or her shit.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 10:50:55 AM
Yeah, but there is a time component to finding a reliable personal shopper who knows his or her shit.

If one is at the place where it is much simpler to trade money for time on a big ticket item, one should have one retained. ^_^

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2011, 10:58:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 10:50:55 AM

If one is at the place where it is much simpler to trade money for time on a big ticket item, one should have one retained. ^_^

For computers? I only buy one once in a blue moon.

There is a shopper I've used before, but for luxury items to give as gifts (about which I know nothing) ... don't think she knows anything about computers.

And why should I bother, when I can buy one off the shelf without all the hassle?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 10:31:53 AM
It is like actually giving a shit whether someone orders Coke or Pepsi.

Unless they're ordering it for you. Pepsi is really bland. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2011, 11:01:47 AM
For computers? I only buy one once in a blue moon.

There is a shopper I've used before, but for luxury items to give as gifts (about which I know nothing) ... don't think she knows anything about computers.

And why should I bother, when I can buy one off the shelf without all the hassle?

Sure, why not? Also, I always find the Apple store a hassle. :(

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2011, 12:01:24 PM
Sure, why not? Also, I always find the Apple store a hassle. :(

What I don't understand is how they can afford so many employees in those places. Every time I've been to the Apple store, the employees outnumber the customers 2 to 1. Are they paying them in candy and rainbows?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers