News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Thatcher's england after the coal mines were shut down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2016, 11:23:36 AM
The map/playtest pieces does look pretty awesome, though:

So it's a fantasy game.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

I thought that was implicit in the mention of it being a COIN game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Shut Up and Sit Down nails my feelings well:

QuoteSpeaking of sonar contacts, we also got a weak but very intriguing signal recently, which turned out to be a new title in GMT's award-winning, asymmetrical "Counter Insurgency" series of wargames.

Quinns: Ooh, OK. So we've had Vietnam, Afghanistan, Columbia and Cuba, right? Where are we going next?

Paul: England!

Quinns: What

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I had the same feeling about COIN Pendragon, looks absolutely awesome, but it being COIN it will probably feel too abstract and over-wrought for it to be really enjoyable. I ended up selling Fire in the Lake and could never get into it. May buy this one and give it a go but mostly because I'm bizarrely attracted to any game featuring a map of the British Isles.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

The existence of this game is actually a perfect exmaple of what I don't like about the COIN games.

They have nothing really to do with the conflicts they are representing. They are a Euroish worker allocation game dressed up as "COIN", but in reality it is just moving little chunks of wood from here to there.

Creating a fantasy version is perfect for this, since it means they don't even have to try to mash their meeples into an actual historical narrative.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

The good thing that came out of Fire in the Lake was that I was sufficiently intrigued by how the conflict could be gamed that I bought a pristine copy of VG's Vietnam '65-75 to see how a real wargame can handle it. Still have a few other games to go before I get to it though.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

PDH

Quote from: Delirium on February 20, 2016, 05:36:01 PM
The good thing that came out of Fire in the Lake was that I was sufficiently intrigued by how the conflict could be gamed that I bought a pristine copy of VG's Vietnam '65-75 to see how a real wargame can handle it. Still have a few other games to go before I get to it though.
I loved that game.  I am not sure I ever played it against a real human though...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Finally got a chance to play Talon tonight. I have a playtesters credit on it, and am planning on designing a race for an expansion.

Very fun game.

0 rows returned

Tamas

I am very much in the mood of playing a PBEM game of Balance of Powers.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/156843/balance-powers

I think it is a quite clever design and while have less detail than La Grande Guerre, it is much easier to handle, too.

there is a very nice VASSAL module available, and I own the game. The only source of possible interrupt during a player's turn are the detailed naval rules, and the campaign game offers simplified naval rules that eliminate all that.
In other words, it should be very straightforward to PBEM.

Berkut

I heard there is a good CB module for it as well.

I heard that from myself, since I did the module...

0 rows returned

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2016, 03:42:29 PM
I heard there is a good CB module for it as well.

I heard that from myself, since I did the module...

BTW, do you have link to the final version?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien