News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

It is intriguing, I agree, some guys I know have played both and were unimpressed...one complaint I hear about TK is that is extremely punishing on a player who does not know all the possible card combinations beforehand and how to implement a strategy based on your choices. I still think such a game works if both players are equally ignorant and have to make it up as they go along but I can see how it is tough on a newbie against a reasonably experienced player.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on December 28, 2015, 05:56:10 AM
Quote from: Delirium on December 28, 2015, 04:48:04 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 22, 2015, 10:23:03 AM
I got two games today:

Tornio '44, because many of my ancestors lived in that area and it rarely features in games.

Nice, I've seen it played although the boys did not seem too impressed...I held a copy in my hand at SF-bokhandeln and wanted to support Mikugames, but in the end walked away, I partly regret it. I hope to be able to try a part of the Finnish Trilogy one day.

QuoteGathering Storm, for completeness, I played Advanced Third Reich in the 90s and I own both editions of A World At War.

Ugh, like you I enjoyed the heck out of A3R, but AWAW is just toooooo much.

If I ever play a grand strategy WW2 game again I think I'll probably try Totaler Krieg. Dai Senso intrigues me.

We did a TK game, I really enjoyed it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

If you like games of deception and bluffing, then Secret Hitler looks great fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69PbHoSWm4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Been Reading a lot of The Mutant Epoch stuff. I like the Palladiumesque "let's describe everything" approach. I note that the author is REALLY into sex slaves and prostitutes.

celedhring

Speaking of Third Reich, this past weekend I had lunch with the guys I used to play it with during high school, and we're going to have another go at it for old times' sake.

celedhring

Purchased Warhammer Quest Card Game the other day. It plays like a lightweight version of both LOTR LCG and Pathfinder CG. We're digging it so far, much easier to get to the table than the two other games, even if it doesn't have their depth.

Maladict

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2016, 12:41:17 AM
Quote from: Maladict on February 13, 2016, 02:16:34 PM
Pendragon added to P500  :w00t:

COIN.  :bleeding:

Hey, it's a late antiquity game of some complexity. That's enough for me.

Habbaku

Honestly, the differences that the game will be making for the system might make it work, a la Fire in the Lake.  I just haven't particularly cared for most of the games in the series and am pretty ambivalent about it being stretched to cover a much older period.

The map/playtest pieces does look pretty awesome, though:

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2016, 11:23:36 AM
Honestly, the differences that the game will be making for the system might make it work, a la Fire in the Lake.  I just haven't particularly cared for most of the games in the series and am pretty ambivalent about it being stretched to cover a much older period.

The map/playtest pieces does look pretty awesome, though:

It really does. Apart from A Distant Plain I haven't had any particular interest in the series, and in the end I didn't pull the trigger on that one. 
This one I'll preorder, though. Looks like it made the cut in two days, that's a good sign.

The Brain

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.