News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Yes, I've ordered from CSI several times.  They're top-notch.  The bonus for getting an account with them is that you also accrue a discount over time on all orders.  Worth building up some loyalty points with them if you find their prices are good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2015, 12:59:55 PM
Yes, I've ordered from CSI several times.  They're top-notch.  The bonus for getting an account with them is that you also accrue a discount over time on all orders.  Worth building up some loyalty points with them if you find their prices are good.

Cool, thanks!
I'm having it delivered within the US as I will be there in December, shipping to Europe and the customs surcharge would double the price. :(

Maladict

Mulling over which game to choose as the second of my 50% off picks in the GMT sale (the first is No Retreat Italy).

Triumph and Tragedy looks really cool, but I'm afraid I won't get to play it much.
Maybe something more solo friendly, like that Dambusters game or the WW1 dual pack?

Tamas

I forgot Pax Pamir would be out by now :o

Habbaku

Supposed to be shipping next week.  I'm pretty eager.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on October 30, 2015, 03:31:19 PM

I could have had a colleague pick it up at Essen if I were aware of it!  :mad:

Delirium

Quote from: celedhring on October 08, 2015, 03:33:56 AM
Me and my friends are looking for a quick timewaster. We have done Race for the Galaxy, Legendary, Ascension, 7 Wonders... we liked all those games, but we feel they have run their course with us and we are looking for something fresh. Any advice?

Just any topic, quick to play and requiring little brain capacity?

Eight Minute Empire: Legends
Bang: The Dice Game
Evolution
King of Tokyo
Love Letter
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Quote from: Maladict on October 20, 2015, 08:37:01 AM
Mulling over which game to choose as the second of my 50% off picks in the GMT sale (the first is No Retreat Italy).

Triumph and Tragedy looks really cool, but I'm afraid I won't get to play it much.
Maybe something more solo friendly, like that Dambusters game or the WW1 dual pack?

T&T has become very popular in my wargamer circles. It is a good game, only downside is time, usally around 5 hours which some may feel is a bit much for such a "light" game.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on November 03, 2015, 08:54:49 AM
Quote from: Maladict on October 20, 2015, 08:37:01 AM

T&T has become very popular in my wargamer circles. It is a good game, only downside is time, usally around 5 hours which some may feel is a bit much for such a "light" game.

I went with Pax Romana as my second pick. Haven't got any ancient world games and it looks like it's possible to solo it.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on October 30, 2015, 03:46:59 PM

Shipping message received.  :yeah:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I want to recommend Waterloo 1815: Fallen Eagles by Hexasim but distributed via GMT now to you yanks.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163172/waterloo-1815-fallen-eagles

The topic has never been very appealing to me, but this game actually changed that. It's just a damn fine entertaining wargame: rules kept simple in just the right places, great graphics, luxury counters, just enough historical flavour... Napoleonic grand tactics for those who are not autistic enough to play La Bataille but are satisfied with believable outcomes. Exciting game engine too, both sides take turns activating one formation at a time, with random turn length (when EoT number has been exceeded twice so you have a heads up). Deserves more players, honestly.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on November 05, 2015, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 30, 2015, 03:46:59 PM

Shipping message received.  :yeah:

Ordered it too!

Tried to learn the rules using the VASSAL module in the meantime. Seems like a highly interactive confrontational game as mentioned by the "tutorial" video up on BGG.

Maybe the old Virgin Queen crowd would be interested in a PBEM? Assuming you and Berkut actually still send out moves.

Berkut

Hey, I've been very good with my PBEM games! Well, not VERY good, because this new job doesn't really let me do turns during the day.

Habs however, has been terrible, but he has a damn good reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/187645/star-wars-rebellion

This has been described by some play-testers as "War of the Ring for the Star Wars universe."  Needless to say, my pants are a dairy factory.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Don't get the C3P0 counter all sticky.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive