Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Empire of the Sun is here  :cool:

After paying 35 euros import duties at the post office :(

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

11B4V

Finally got Winter Storm. The last I need to fill out the series.

Winter Storm
Edelweiss
Last Victory
Prelude to Disaster

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Churchill now has a VASSAL module. I am awaiting it to be available in Europe to buy my copy, but if somebody has the game, we should do a Languish AAR game of it, should be fun.

Tamas

You guys are a bore.

So has anyone checked out Triumph and Tragedy yet? Unlike Churchill, my only chance of playing it would be Languish, but I am still wondering as it looks very intriguing.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2015, 05:37:55 AM
You guys are a bore.

So has anyone checked out Triumph and Tragedy yet? Unlike Churchill, my only chance of playing it would be Languish, but I am still wondering as it looks very intriguing.

I just mentioned that game three posts ago in this thread, but was ignored. :mad:
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Delirium

I was at a mini-convention last weekend and played https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163172/waterloo-1815-fallen-eagles

Great, great game, just the right level of detail for me and beautiful game visually. Best game I played this year.

There were games of Triumph and Tragedy and Churchill going on contiuously over the weekend and all players seemed to enjoy T&T more. Two guys I know who are notoriously picky wargamers ran in three consecutive games of T&T and were very impressed with it.

Personally I bought Churchill and am reading the rules now, the topic interests me more than T&T. It may be that T&T is easier to get into at a convention for new players.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

frunk

I haven't played either, but my friends that have dislike Churchill and like T&T.

Berkut

I played Churchill at WBC.

I actually really like it as a game - but it is almost designed to make three people hate each other. So that maybe isn't so great...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

What really intrigues me about TandT is all the claims that its a very tight rule system. Usually games trying to cover the same topic are bloated rule-nightmares

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on September 10, 2015, 03:20:41 PM

I actually really like it as a game - but it is almost designed to make three people hate each other. So that maybe isn't so great...

Their major complaint seems to be that there isn't enough incentive for the Western Allies to fight the war in Europe (in particular Normandy).  Not enough benefit for themselves and too much benefit for the SU.

The Brain

Quote from: frunk on September 10, 2015, 03:46:32 PM

Their major complaint seems to be that there isn't enough incentive for the Western Allies to fight the war in Europe (in particular Normandy).  Not enough benefit for themselves and too much benefit for the SU.

History is a bitch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on September 10, 2015, 03:46:32 PM

The designer has posted a long analysis on why that is not true. He sounded convincing.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2015, 04:04:21 PM
The designer has posted a long analysis on why that is not true. He sounded convincing.

Could be.

Habbaku

Only if one of them is really unreasonable or doesn't like negotiating.  Treating Churchill as a game that you can just play by the rulebook and ignore the other players is bound to make for a poor game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien