News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2015, 09:30:57 PM
Looks like I'm gonna start the twins out wargaming this upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

Federation Commander might be simple enough for 7 year olds. They'll be disappointed there are no Tribbles to kill though.

It you are serious about this, there are plenty of gorgeous looking modern boardgamers that are great for hooking children into boardgamimg.

Ed Anger

They'll be fine with D-7 battlecruisers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

I bought Cthulhu Wars. I can't say no to Sandy Petersen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Alright: Balance of Powers VASSAL module is ready:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Balance_of_Powers

Here are the rules:
http://compassgames.com/downloads/boprules4115.pdf

I have been testing it on my table and via Zun Tzu so whoever is interested I am ready to play whenever. I suggest playing the 1914 scenario at least one before anything more involved.

Ed Anger

The Fed Ex guy brought much loot to the Anger Stronghold. After a ritual sniffing of each other's butt, 3 packages were left.

More inbound.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Has anyone played Star Wars: Armada, Hearts & Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975, or Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812? If so, any thoughts?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Did anyone play the Axis & Allies 1940 stuff? Europe and Pacific? Any thoughts?

I played Axis & Allies in the 80s and it's a nice game.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2015, 03:45:52 PM
Did anyone play the Axis & Allies 1940 stuff? Europe and Pacific? Any thoughts?

I played Axis & Allies in the 80s and it's a nice game.

It's fun for what it is. The two combine to make a more complex game than the 80's version, but still kind of clunky and unbalanced. There are some rule sets to address some of the issues.

I think I played the global game about 5 times with a group of friends. I did start to find it lacking too much in depth eventually, even for a beer and pretzels game, and bailed out.
It also takes ages to complete, I don't think we ever made it past 7 turns. And at nearly 200 euros for both I think it is overpriced.

But if you liked the 80's version, you'll probably like this one too.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2015, 03:56:30 PM
No it isn't.

It's a fine game for kids after they've mastered Risk.

For adults, however...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Thanks for the info. Berkut you freak.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2015, 04:04:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2015, 03:56:30 PM
No it isn't.

It's a fine game for kids after they've mastered Risk.

For adults, however...

For kids it takes too long.  The boys and I played it a grand total of 1.5 times for that reason.  By the time they get old enough to sit through a multi hour game they have much better things to do.

celedhring

Axis and Allies was an excellent gateway drug to get my non-wargaming friends into wargaming, back in our late teens-early 20s.

The Brain

Hey Ed, did you use the counter from Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid already? You know which one.

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Mark Simonitch posted that he has finished his side of his new strategic ACW game.  Let's hope it doesn't suck.  Map is pretty good, as expected:

Promising indeed. Also looking forward to the remake of another old VG game: Pacific War.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan