News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I kicker started that Old School Tavtical game that Mark Walker is publishing. Like I need another tactical WWII game.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2015, 06:22:00 PM
I kicker started that Old School Tavtical game that Mark Walker is publishing. Like I need another tactical WWII game.

Old School Tactical?  I wonder if it'll have monsters in it, and if so, if they'll be on white-on-black counters.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2015, 06:52:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2015, 06:22:00 PM

Old School Tactical?  I wonder if it'll have monsters in it, and if so, if they'll be on white-on-black counters.

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

The Romanian Count Chocula division.

Tamas

A friend of mine has created a ZunTzu modul for Legion of Honor. It has actually convinced me to purchase the game.

Also, although I am not sure if it should be distributed (definitely not until I have got my friend's permission), but I could actually use it to run a forum game of it. All information is public in the game, and its basically about each player making one decision when drawing a card, so doesn't seem like a big deal.

Anyone interested? We would probably start off after Easter.

celedhring

Spurred by Tamas' posts, I've got my group to take up the Pathfinder card game again. We're enjoying it more than our first go.

Last time it was the repetitive nature of scenarios what made us drop it, though, so we'll see if we can get the full campaign going.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2015, 03:58:05 PM
Spurred by Tamas' posts, I've got my group to take up the Pathfinder card game again. We're enjoying it more than our first go.

Last time it was the repetitive nature of scenarios what made us drop it, though, so we'll see if we can get the full campaign going.

If you are into backstories, on boardgamgeek you can get the full one assembled from the RPG module. It is probably even more info than absolutely necessary, but you will be able to connect the dots and see eg. why are certain named allies are included in the deck etc.

We are at the very end of Adventure 4, and running into increased trouble, but often due to only being the two of us. i think with 3 or 4 players who spread the traditional skillsets (melee guy, wizard, priest, rogue) it would be decidedly easier.

Lots of fun though, my girlfriend has come around from mildly liking it to being really invested in her character's deck and optimising it along the plays, and already thinking about restarting when we finish.

celedhring

Nobody wanted to take a full time priest, we have a paladin with a cure spell but that's it. Gonna run into trouble later on most probably.

But yeah, customizing you character's deck through the scenarios is what this game shines at, imho. It's addictive.

celedhring

Held a game of Battlestar Galactica tonight, it had been a while since my last one (Larchie sat at the table for that one), and I had forgot how great a game with 6+ players can be. Need to make it a more common fixture in our games mix.

Habbaku

BSG is, indeed, one of the best six-player games out there.  Do you guys play as-is, with expansions, or with the Sympathizer Variant (my personal choice)?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

We pick and choose from the expansions; this time we went with the optional cylon fleet pursuit sideboard (my favorite addon), the Pegasus sideboard and the treachery deck. We did use the sympathizer variant. It had been a while since our last game so we wanted to keep it simple.

The cylons won, due to some pretty poor choices in jumps by the admiral, and a glut of cylon deployments towards the end. I was a cylon.

Habbaku

I've never played with the Cylon fleet pursuit add-on.  What about it makes it so good in your perspective?  I've been eyeing up some of the expansions, but have heard nothing good about Pegasus, so am pretty leery of getting that one.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2015, 03:36:16 PM
I've never played with the Cylon fleet pursuit add-on.  What about it makes it so good in your perspective?  I've been eyeing up some of the expansions, but have heard nothing good about Pegasus, so am pretty leery of getting that one.

It ensures that you get regular cylon fleets deployed in the main board; instead of depending on crisis cards. It keeps the game tense as you know they are around the corner; without it I feel there's too much luck involved in getting cylon deployment crises, and some games can be really dull if you don't draw those.

We usually use Pegasus when we use the cylon fleet sideboard, since you tend to have more space action with it and the Pegasus sideboard helps to balance it out with its stronger anti-ship locations and the fact it can soak damage off Galactica.

To be honest we don't use too much material from the expansions (besides the extra skill cards and crises, some are fun), since they add a lot of clutter.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2015, 03:46:10 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2015, 03:36:16 PM

It ensures that you get regular cylon fleets deployed in the main board; instead of depending on crisis cards. It keeps the game tense as you know they are around the corner; without it I feel there's too much luck involved in getting cylon deployment crises, and some games can be really dull if you don't draw those.

We usually use Pegasus when we use the cylon fleet sideboard, since you tend to have more space action with it and the Pegasus sideboard helps to balance it out with its stronger anti-ship locations and the fact it can soak damage off Galactica.

To be honest we don't use too much material from the expansions (besides the extra skill cards and crises, some are fun), since they add a lot of clutter.

IIRC I liked the crisis card deployments better. The pursuit timer thingie (can't remember the details, really) made it too Euro-ish: you could manipulate it and I felt actually safer than with the random stuff.