News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

At Any Cost

Over the 500 mark on GMT.  :yeah:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

Just got Legion of Honor.

My playlist for the upcoming local mini-convention is:

Rebel Raiders on the High Seas
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peleponnesian War
Fire in the Lake
Legion of Honor

And probable some minor fillers at times, like 8 Minute Empire, Lords of Waterdeep, King of Tokyo and the like.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Hey 11B, did you get Chris' email for yet more DRK "enhancements"?  :P  Unfortunately, due to fiscal reasons I haven't been able to keep up with the crazy bastard.  :lol:

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2015, 11:39:52 PM
Hey 11B, did you get Chris' email for yet more DRK "enhancements"?  :P  Unfortunately, due to fiscal reasons I haven't been able to keep up with the crazy bastard.  :lol:

I just checked. The release of Das Reich, means work on III Panzer Corps area will commence. A further 3 panzer and 1 infantry division. With III Corps area compled, all of 4th Panzer army's AO will be encompassed at 330 yards per hex represented by 96 11"x17" maps, German and Russian formations down to platoon/company level.

I will set it up. It will be a sight to behold. Oh yes, I will and play it to completion even if it kills me. It will be glorious.  :P   

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 19, 2015, 03:59:00 AM
I just checked. The release of Das Reich, means work on III Panzer Corps area will commence. A further 3 panzer and 1 infantry division. With III Corps area compled, all of 4th Panzer army's AO will be encompassed at 330 yards per hex represented by 96 11"x17" maps, German and Russian formations down to platoon/company level.

What I want to know is: at the pace he's going, when does a game about Kursk no longer becomes Kursk, and just bleeds into Kharkov?

QuoteI will set it up. It will be a sight to behold. Oh yes, I will and play it to completion even if it kills me. It will be glorious.  :P

With who?

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on January 12, 2015, 07:04:10 PMFun times, though definitely not your typical game.  More like Dungeons and Dragons without the GM, in that the players are all just trying to score glory, chicks, medals, and money while not getting killed in the process.  It's basically a series of random encounters, trying to avoid getting stuck under a commanding officer that hates your guts, and trying to get assigned to a busy army (or a quiet one, if you prefer to avoid too much trouble).

My character, for instance, narrowly avoided a guillotining, but was imprisoned once.  Also wounded something like 6 times (1 duel, 5 combat), but all were "Flesh Wounds", meaning I get a little uptick in glory and respect, but no real downside to speak of.  France's enemies have nothing on me. :frog:

I have just soloed a bit using a two player set-up and realized there was not much chance of  them being in an active army which felt a bit disappointing: all the cool events seemed likely to pass without a player being able to take part in them... Guess more players would take care of that.

Another observation is that Standing seems important but hard to change. As you say, if you're stuck under a "bad" commander (or at least someone who does not like you) then you will lose quite a bit of points in the end unless you get re-assigned. On the other hand, chances of you being re-assigned are higher if you he hates your guts. On the third hand, your new assignment will start with a random standing.

Finally, on women, a gamer's instinct is to include them but they do warn that using that optional rule will add some time to the game. What is your view on that?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2015, 08:01:36 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 19, 2015, 03:59:00 AM

What I want to know is: at the pace he's going, when does a game about Kursk no longer becomes Kursk, and just bleeds into Kharkov?

QuoteI will set it up. It will be a sight to behold. Oh yes, I will and play it to completion even if it kills me. It will be glorious.  :P

With who?

I'll solo that bitch.

Habbaku

Quote from: Delirium on January 19, 2015, 11:32:33 AM
Finally, on women, a gamer's instinct is to include them but they do warn that using that optional rule will add some time to the game. What is your view on that?

I think if you are planning on doing the grand campaign, so to speak, that including women is a natural add-on to get more interactivity into the game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 16, 2015, 07:05:37 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2015, 05:56:03 PM
Hey, they reprinted Car Wars.

Just ordered it. Time for 1985 flashbacks.

Arriveded. Thanks Amazon Prime.

Looks nice. Plus on the box it sez it is a second printing already. Neato.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on January 19, 2015, 02:42:34 PM

I think if you are planning on doing the grand campaign, so to speak, that including women is a natural add-on to get more interactivity into the game.

Think of all the nagging.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 20, 2015, 06:53:25 PM

WOMEN DON'T KNOW HOW TO MANEUVER A PANZER DIVISION.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Think of them parking.

MEIN TIGER!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 20, 2015, 06:53:25 PM

Bah, the chick rules include multiple lovers and WAIT FOR IT married chicks.  Dude, how can you not.