News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

If you ordered from them, you never know, they could be on their way.  Actually, I've never been too terribly impressed with GMT's mail-order operation.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 09:11:07 PM
If you ordered from them, you never know, they could be on their way.  Actually, I've never been too terribly impressed with GMT's mail-order operation.

That's what is was. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Finally found the other two to the AG South set. Paid more than I should have for Operation Star  :pinch:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 11, 2015, 04:11:17 AM
Finally found the other two to the AG South set. Paid more than I should have for Operation Star  :pinch:

When you get to that point, it's not about the money anymore.  It's about the having.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2015, 07:18:10 PM
Devir's The Case of the Catalans showed up today.  :yeah:

Make a VASSAL module -> Start a Languish game -> ??? -> Profit!

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2015, 07:18:10 PM
Devir's The Case of the Catalans showed up today.  :yeah:

I live within walking distance of their HQ!

To be honest, when the game came out I sort of dismissed it as just a cash-grab given the political situation over here, but it's actually a fine game; possibly the best locally-produced game I have ever played (which is a low bar to jump, truth be said)

Habbaku

It does seem like a very interesting game based on reading the rules.  I do wish they had gotten a native-English speaker, however, to review the cards and the rules first.  There is nothing that is not fully understandable, but some of the wording is clunky.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 30, 2014, 08:18:45 PM
Playing Legion of Honor this coming Saturday.  :frog:

Well?  We're waiting.

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 06:01:04 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 30, 2014, 08:18:45 PM
Playing Legion of Honor this coming Saturday.  :frog:

Well?  We're waiting.

Fun times, though definitely not your typical game.  More like Dungeons and Dragons without the GM, in that the players are all just trying to score glory, chicks, medals, and money while not getting killed in the process.  It's basically a series of random encounters, trying to avoid getting stuck under a commanding officer that hates your guts, and trying to get assigned to a busy army (or a quiet one, if you prefer to avoid too much trouble).

My character, for instance, narrowly avoided a guillotining, but was imprisoned once.  Also wounded something like 6 times (1 duel, 5 combat), but all were "Flesh Wounds", meaning I get a little uptick in glory and respect, but no real downside to speak of.  France's enemies have nothing on me. :frog:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

What was your highest Napoleon's Attention score? Or did you ever get out of single digits?  :lol:

Habbaku

We put the game on hold around season 5 (with plans to continue soon).  I think I was around 20 points, thanks to attending his wedding. :vive first Consul:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Jean Rapp finds your 6 wounds to be puny.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive