Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2014, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 25, 2014, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: dps on December 25, 2014, 10:30:34 AM
"Counters punched but not played" as if it makes any difference to the condition of the game.

Because sometimes "Played" can translate to "Counters worn and faded",

:yes: Sunlight has been known to play havoc with monster WW2 games left set up too long.

I tend to clip the corners on counters now, but I didn't used to do so.  I didn't clip the counters from Western Desert, but I played the game so much the counters are worn down to the point that they look like they're clipped.

11B4V

Clipping counters is OK for a small game. I gave up clipping Fasulo's DRK (Five games) for example. That's only five of the 11 divisions. I'm not into clipping the 4th Panzer Army represented at platoon level.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Just pulled the trigger on Trial of Strength.

Great Errata Sheet  :lol:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Demyansk Shield The Frozen Fortress: January - May 1942
game design by Vance von Borries
Covering the battles around Demyansk, Staraya Russa, and the Valday Hills area of the Soviet Union, January through May 1942. Attractive map, lots of snow, many combatants including ski troops, Soviet Guards, and German SS. Not many tanks but it says everything else about WW II on the Russian Front.

Map scale is approximately 2 miles to the hex. Since this is a campaign covering 5 months so ground conditions will change from snow, ice, and bitter cold over to spring time with leaves on the trees - and of course with the inevitable, and formidable, mud in between.

Tentatively the game will include the following:
•one 22" x 34" map used in the campaign game
•352 counters/markers - .6" LWG EasyPunch™ Counters
•Combat units are battalions for the Germans and regiments/brigades for the Soviets.
There are currently 152 German unit counters and 139 Soviet unit counters.
•12 pages of rules
•2 player aid cards
Note: This game is not yet available for pre-order but will be added to the CPO list soon.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1ddab79a

Hasn't popped on their preorder yet.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 26, 2014, 04:27:13 PM
Note: This game is not yet available for pre-order but will be added to the CPO list soon.

Hasn't popped on their preorder yet.  :)

Is it available for pre-order yet?   :P

Legion makes good stuff.

11B4V

:showoff: Landed two more of the Winter Storm series (Prelude to Disaster and Edelweiss). Already had The Last Victory. Only one left is the first one Winter Storm.

Delirium

Anyone with experience from EuroFront (or East or West for that matter)?

We are playing it ftf right now and even though the system is easy enough in its basic parts it seems really hard on the attacker. Attrition is so deadly barring unlucky defensive die rolls.

Granted, we are all more or less new to it, but it was (too) easy to stop both the Norway campaign and get the Germans bogged down in France just by committing more British troops than they did historically. There does not seem to be a real downside to doing so. Or maybe an experienced German player would have been able to exploit the situation more effectively...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 28, 2014, 06:21:20 PM
:showoff: Landed two more of the Winter Storm series (Prelude to Disaster and Edelweiss). Already had The Last Victory. Only one left is the first one Winter Storm.

Do they smell like 1980?  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on December 30, 2014, 09:13:14 AM

Meh, stayed away from block games.  Habby or Berkut may have them, dunno.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

We are playing it ftf right now and even though the system is easy enough in its basic parts it seems really hard on the attacker. Attrition is so deadly barring unlucky defensive die rolls.

Granted, we are all more or less new to it, but it was (too) easy to stop both the Norway campaign and get the Germans bogged down in France just by committing more British troops than they did historically. There does not seem to be a real downside to doing so. Or maybe an experienced German player would have been able to exploit the situation more effectively...

I've never played any of the games, but I did watch the designers/developers play a demo game of East Front at Origins one year.  My impression was that the game was well-thought out and the rules were pretty well-written, but it's just not what I usually look for in a wargame.

No idea about the specific problem you're having in your game.  Maybe the British need to be constrained more by garrison rules, or logistics?  Or perhaps the British units are just too strong?  Or it might be as you suggest--a better or more experienced German player might make them pay for overcommitting the British too early.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2014, 11:57:54 AM

Meh, stayed away from block games.  Habby or Berkut may have them, dunno.

I played East Front a bit, I actually think it is an excellent game.

But I have never tried the other ones, and you question is basically strategic, and hence I can't answer it without knowing how the Germans can threaten Britain.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned