News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on August 18, 2014, 09:25:58 AM

My problem is that all worker placement games are basically the same. There is a hidden optimal algorithm based on which you exchange one colour for another. There are some variations based on how well the opponents know the given worker placement game's algorithm, but that's all the variety there is.

I think their popularity (although I do enjoy them sometimes myself as well, but only in very limited portions) stems from this gaming crowd different from me and I imagine most of the wargamers. These guys are not playing the games for the "thrill" and the need to constantly adopt to changing situations. They play to figure out and fall into the bliss of a routine. Or at least this is my recent theory. :P

There are only two worker placement games that I actually like.  Tribune and Last Will.  Tribune is a worker placement game on speed, most games will finish in under an hour.  It's not about cranking some algorithm, rather grabbing the right cards to take/steal control of positions.  Last Will is Brewster's Millions the Boardgame (or an updated and modernized Mad Magazine Game if you prefer).

Ed Anger

Wave 2 arrival:

Sign of the Pagan
Spanish Eagles
Some ATS stuff

Wave 3 arrives tomorrow. Unless UPS fucks up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Marvel Legendary arrived, and I hope to christen it with some friends next weekend.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2014, 11:34:07 AM
Marvel Legendary arrived, and I hope to christen it with some friends next weekend.

It's quite fun, but a bitch to set up and re-store. Too much hassle for what's supposed to be a quick card game (which it is).

The Brain

I have the help set up all my games.

Delirium

Wargame convention last weekend with about 40 people. Played It Never Snows, full campaign, eight players in two teams. Great fun but lost, again, as the allies. Some minor quirks that are annoying but overall I forgive the system for its faults.

Also played a tiny bit of BAR, an introduction scenario in Fontenoy. Complex rules but make complete sense and are actually easy to remember. Intricate but fun system.

Some fillers as well: Space Cadets (forgot the subtitle). Completely bizarre experience, eight guys screaming and rolling dice. Real time space ship combat. Also Sails of Glory (a bit too fiddly for what it is worth is my verdict at this point). Age of War (Fantasy Flight, euro-dice game with Japanese theme): simple and repetitive after a short while but a good time waster between turns in INS.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 03:22:46 PM
It's kind of scary how completely leaderless NATO seems. There doesn't seem to be any actual idea or plan from anyone.

Obama certainly is not leading anything. Is anyone?

You have to play Obama Takes Command.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 30, 2014, 04:12:39 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2014, 11:34:07 AM

It's quite fun, but a bitch to set up and re-store. Too much hassle for what's supposed to be a quick card game (which it is).

I did a few dry runs and find it not too bad in the set up/clean up department. It's certainly not Fortune and Glory. Also, we like to do some chatting between games, have a drink etc., so that helps.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 02, 2014, 03:43:18 PM
Also, we like to do some chatting between games, have a drink etc., so that helps.

Nerd card: revoked. :mad:

Syt

I've seen that a local shop is selling Firefly, the board game. It's from the same makers as Spartacus which had received very good reviews.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

I own Spratacus, haven't played it.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on September 02, 2014, 03:47:46 PM
I've seen that a local shop is selling Firefly, the board game. It's from the same makers as Spartacus which had received very good reviews.

I've played it.  It was fun for what it is.  It gives a nice feel of the show/movie, but I wouldn't call it a good game.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on September 02, 2014, 02:37:57 PM
Wargame convention last weekend with about 40 people. Played It Never Snows, full campaign, eight players in two teams. Great fun but lost, again, as the allies. Some minor quirks that are annoying but overall I forgive the system for its faults.

Details, please.

QuoteAlso played a tiny bit of BAR, an introduction scenario in Fontenoy. Complex rules but make complete sense and are actually easy to remember. Intricate but fun system.

Fantastic system, once you wrap the noggin on that kind of warfare it becomes intuitive; Lobositz is a good starter game, but definitely check out the BAR Primer that COA offers now.