News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Don't be a douche, share with the class.

celedhring

Lords of Waterdeep. Pretty cool; it plays like an euro game but with a coat of D&D theme.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2014, 04:12:19 AM
Lords of Waterdeep. Pretty cool; it plays like an euro game but with a coat of D&D theme.

There is also a version for iOS.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2014, 11:40:46 PM
Don't be a douche, share with the class.

The baby OCS game with the Vichy, and the Frogs getting kneed in the groin in Vietnam game.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

A very thin coat.

Martinus

Can we discuss P&P RPGs in this thread, or is it just for grognards?  :ph34r:

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 18, 2014, 07:37:51 AM

A very thin coat.

Wesley Crusher liked it. :P

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2014, 08:16:21 AM
Can we discuss P&P RPGs in this thread, or is it just for grognards?  :ph34r:

We have a separate RPG thread, noob

celedhring

A very thin coat.

We forced ourselves to say "warrior" "priest", etc... instead of falling to "black cube" "white cube" to help with that :p

But yeah, it does play like an euro game - which isn't a bad thing.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2014, 08:38:42 AM

A very thin coat.

We forced ourselves to say "warrior" "priest", etc... instead of falling to "black cube" "white cube" to help with that :p

But yeah, it does play like an euro game - which isn't a bad thing.

I played it with a random crowd most of them who have played the game before and they just threw the theme away completely. Was still fun but a bit disturbing.

celedhring

The mechanics are great, but it's not one of those games that are able to translate the theme into them, that's true. Doesn't help that you play with painted pieces of wood.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2014, 08:50:37 AM
The mechanics are great, but it's not one of those games that are able to translate the theme into them, that's true. Doesn't help that you play with painted pieces of wood.

My problem is that all worker placement games are basically the same. There is a hidden optimal algorithm based on which you exchange one colour for another. There are some variations based on how well the opponents know the given worker placement game's algorithm, but that's all the variety there is.

I think their popularity (although I do enjoy them sometimes myself as well, but only in very limited portions) stems from this gaming crowd different from me and I imagine most of the wargamers. These guys are not playing the games for the "thrill" and the need to constantly adopt to changing situations. They play to figure out and fall into the bliss of a routine. Or at least this is my recent theory. :P

celedhring

The thrill comes from other players shitting on your algorithm - since for the most part only one player can use a given building - and forcing you to adapt.

The Brain

I like escapism in my games. Hence not really a Euro fan.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2014, 09:45:14 AM
The thrill comes from other players shitting on your algorithm - since for the most part only one player can use a given building - and forcing you to adapt.

yes but there are clearly obvious second best choices in all cases, aren't they.