News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

The Wise around here have little love for SCS but I personally enjoyed It Never Snows a lot. I'm on the fence about Day of Days (do we really need another D-Day game?) but will probably come around and preorder it once I see some artwork (although you sort of know what to expect).
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

I like SCS, but it always seems to get lost in the wash with the popularity of the OCS system. 

I think Stalingrad Pocket II is kinda like Goldilock's porridge, not too tactical and not too broad.

But yeah, a lot of D-Day titles recently with more on their way.  They're going to be pumping out the first GTS title sometime, think it's going to be the Brit/Canuck beaches first.

There was a large gaming group here that I really wanted to hang with years ago, but the were all-OCS-all-the-time, and that sorta soured it.  That, and they only wanted to play one weeknight a week, from 7 to 11.  I mean, dude, I have to work in the morning, Why doesn't anybody want to play on the weekends, when you've got tons of time to really sink into a game?  Answer?  Because the wife says so.
Fuck that noise.

11B4V

7 to 11??? That's not time to do shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

No kidding, right?  But that's old people for you.

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on July 27, 2014, 12:24:53 PM
7 to 11??? That's not time to do shit.

7 AM to 11 PM isn't bad, or even 7 PM to 11 AM, but 7 PM to 11 PM is just set-up time.

CountDeMoney

Lulz, the Panzer expansion has been waiting at the Post Office for almost two weeks now  :lol:  Thanks for the shipping notice, GMT!

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

I never got into the Yaquinto Panzer system, but I really got into his MBT/IDF system back in the day.  I like the fact that it's not as labor-intensive as ASL but still gives you the crunchy tactical feel with the reliance on unit-specific stats and reference cards without being overly burdensome.  You'd probably like it;  much lighter than ASL, heavier than stuff like Combat Commander...and more traditional and not as "Euro" as Fighting Formations  :P

Berkut

Hmmm, that does sound pretty good....

I really like Combat Commander - if they could come up with a way to have vehicles in it, it would be a really great game. My beef with it isn't the weight so much as it is that they kind of left out one of the key components of actual combat in WW2.

0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2014, 01:50:01 AM
Hmmm, that does sound pretty good....

I really like Combat Commander - if they could come up with a way to have vehicles in it, it would be a really great game. My beef with it isn't the weight so much as it is that they kind of left out one of the key components of actual combat in WW2.

You can have a look at the rules on GMT website. Your an ASL player right?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Used to be - haven't played ASL in years.

0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2014, 02:03:44 PM
Used to be - haven't played ASL in years.

You'll have no probs with Panzer.

sbr

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Ed Anger

Got my box of MMP stuff. More boxes of wargame goodness inbound.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive