News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Rough map shots of Hammerin' Sickles.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

My latest investments are:

Last Chance for Victory (played a few small scenarios and one campaign opening at a convention)
Prague (BAR system, unplayed and unread)
Blood and Roses (dito)
Sails of Glory (Napoleonic naval miniatures)

Playing right now is 1914: Twilight in the East, both live and on vassal
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Girlfriend and I were in Hungary last weekend, we played DungeonQuest with my sister and her BF. Ended up being a particularly unlucky session, she (GF), did not like it at all. Then my sister suggested we play Puerto Rico, and that was a major success. :) My girlfriend regretted the game ended when we ran out the allocated number of sl... colonists, she enjoyed it that much. Looks like we can progress with "converting" her quicker than anticipated.  :wub:

11B4V

The Brown Truck made a surprise visit.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Haven't gotten a shipping notification yet, but that's not surprising.  Gonna have to check the PO Box 'o Fun.

Habbaku

Those games do look tempting, but I'm awaiting the inevitable reprint edition.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Purchased Eldritch Horror the other day, after being a longtime fan of Arkham Horror (sorry grognards, my friends just won't do wargames). Had a first game and loved it; they streamlined all the messy parts of the original and added some new mechanics that give more variation to games. It's blatantly an expansion bait game, though, since all the decks are pretty thin and we'll see most variants after we play once against each Old One (4 in the base box).

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2014, 03:44:41 AM
Purchased Eldritch Horror the other day, after being a longtime fan of Arkham Horror (sorry grognards, my friends just won't do wargames).

They'll play a long, interminably boring game about moving pieces around and drawing cards, but not play a wargame that lasts half as long...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

I've seen this before. Cool but had to be a lot of work.

Browse this site.
http://www.myassaultpage.com/

Ed Anger

I'm tempted to get Critcal Hit's new tactical Civil War game. Just for shits and giggles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 17, 2014, 12:22:15 AM
Those games do look tempting, but I'm awaiting the inevitable reprint edition.

Before I put them into storage, I found it to be a surprisingly polished system.

What mystifies me, however, is the total lack of interest in the Fighting Formations system.  Guess it just might be a little too revolutionary.

Berkut

FIghting Formations is not too revolutionary, it is just too Eurogamey for a serious wargame.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on July 17, 2014, 11:06:32 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2014, 03:44:41 AM
Purchased Eldritch Horror the other day, after being a longtime fan of Arkham Horror (sorry grognards, my friends just won't do wargames).

They'll play a long, interminably boring game about moving pieces around and drawing cards, but not play a wargame that lasts half as long...

They can't cope with deciding what to do and moving 22142342 counters every turn, and planning complex strategies. Not because they are dumb (they aren't), but they prefer gaming to be more laid back.