The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
Wusses.  I started a 30-turn campaign of GCACW last week.  :nerd:

Which one?

Habbaku

Battle Above the Clouds, Scenario 8, the Chickamauga Campaign.  Got in about 5 turns last week before a particularly brutal flank attack by my guys (Crittenden and Thomas' Corps) smashed most of a division (Hindman's) along the crossroads in Trenton, Georgia.  After that, we decided to restart now that we both had an idea of what early movements can lead to.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

That's cool.  I like the "new look" that BATC has given the series.  Hopefully they'll reprint the rest of the series after SJW2 is out and they're done with the BATC theme to Atlanta.

But it's MMP, which means we'll both be dead by then.

Habbaku

:D  SJW2 is due out pretty soon and isn't just a straight reprint of the older stuff.  I think that's what they're trying to avoid, actually--straight reprints--which does end up adding some time to the schedule.  Seems to me that they're going to do one new game followed by one "reprint" in an alternating pattern.

I'll have to pick Ed's brain at WBC as for what's next on the list--hopefully Atlanta.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

IIRC, they wanted to go with a series of contiguous games that go straight from BATC to Atlanta for the series.  My William Tecumseh Boner applauded.

If you haven't stopped by the LOB folder recently, they're putting the finishing touches on the Gettysburg project.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 06:39:36 PM
the finishing touches on the Gettysburg project.

finally!

I was wondering if anyone will ever cover that battle.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 04, 2013, 08:02:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 04, 2013, 06:33:09 PM
Ugh, Gulf strike system.

You didn't have a fucking problem with it in high school.

I do now. I want my rule books thin. Like Ide's women.

Last two came in Nato/Pact games came in including B&G I and II. Yes ED, these have thin rule books.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Now get the other three GDW WWIII games.

I wish I still had my set.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 12:01:13 PM
Now get the other three GDW WWIII games.

I wish I still had my set.

I did at one time too. Fuck are they $$$$ now.

I have purchased the White Star Rising series. Pre-ordered their EF title. How could I resist.
http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?SCAT=80&SID=33&ID=145
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

I still have my WWIII games...I only ever remember playing the central front and the one with the worthless Yugoslavians though.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: PDH on April 11, 2013, 03:26:19 PM
and the one with the worthless Yugoslavians though.

Which side did they fight for?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on April 11, 2013, 03:26:19 PM
I still have my WWIII games...I only ever remember playing the central front and the one with the worthless Yugoslavians though.

They have an excellent tracksuit record. :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I thought Arctic Front was the best one of the bunch. Low counter density was a major plus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Should've pulled the trigger on that system back in the 80's, when I had the chance at Origins '85.
But, instead of blowing my hard earned allowance-and-lawn-mowing wad on 4 games in one system, I bought Air Cav and the big ticket item, Pacific War, instead.

Dear God, was Air Cav mediocre.  Had promise, but wasn't truly fleshed out.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2013, 05:39:40 PM
Should've pulled the trigger on that system back in the 80's, when I had the chance at Origins '85.
But, instead of blowing my hard earned allowance-and-lawn-mowing wad on 4 games in one system, I bought Air Cav and the big ticket item, Pacific War, instead.

Dear God, was Air Cav mediocre.  Had promise, but wasn't truly fleshed out.

Should have went with Air & Armor. Fantastic two player game. ;)