News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Cole Wehrle's Oath just dropped on my doorstep.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on May 28, 2021, 11:14:56 AM

My local kickstarter-lover and allround hype-guy also received it. I mostly nod and smile politely whenever a new chrome monster arrives and he starts raving, but not this one. Looking forward to trying it out.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2020, 04:45:37 PM
After nearly 3 years of silence it seems like Rachel (Bowen) Simmons is back, with a flurry of detailed posts on the development blog for Stavka over the past few months.  Looks like the design is moving along nicely.

And now she's retired.  Simmons Games has closed its virtual doors so no more sales of Napleon's Triumph etc. unless there is a licensing deal at some point.  And STAVKA won't see the light of day.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I recently got Storm of Steel. What say you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Haven't played it, but it also hasn't exactly been well-received.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Got my copy of GMT's The Dark Summer a few weeks back and am finishing up a solitaire playthrough.  I love gaming the battle for Normandy and this is a good rendition of it.... frustrating for both sides, as it should be.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Played Nemesis for the first time. We had a blast.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Yesterday we finished a 4 player game of SCS' Stalingrad Pocket (2 players on each side) we had been playing for the last couple of months. I was with the Germans, in charge of Stalingrad's defence itself, as well as its immediate surroundings, with my buddy in charge of the broader front and we did good enough to qualify for a Major Victory.

We managed to hold off the Soviets' encircling of Stalingrad until the very last turn, without them being able to capture any VP hex but one (a Stalingrad hex captured mid-game by pure mistake, as neither me nor the Soviet realized it was an actual VP Hex until a couple turns later). While I was not really good enough on the mobile defence aspect of the game (my buddy was much better at that, and ended up handling most of that part of the game), I found my niche in artillery support, as my barrages were able to hold off entire Soviet spearheads in the fronts, thus delaying their attacks. My nicest feather in the cap (besides the overall defence of Stalingrad itself) was destroying the Soviet 51st Army by hitting and overruning their HQ in the rear guard through a speedy panzer blitz. This avoided the Soviet push to envelop Stalingrad on the south and prevented Soviet units from running amok in our own rear guard, taking undefended VP hexes. A couple of turns later my buddy replicated the move in the other sector of the front (you'd have thought that the Soviets would have learned to better defend their HQs by then, but nope) and was able to knock out two other Soviet armies, greatly stalling their advance in that area and quite likely winning the game for us there and then, as the Soviets were quite demoralized after that and could only advance at good speed in the last couple of turns after receiving heavy Guard reinforcements.

So, anyone played this game as well?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on May 28, 2021, 11:14:56 AM

I have found it to be exactly the sort of thing that I like about board games - it's a wonderful story engine.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

That seems to be the buzz all around! I'm glad people are liking it. I worry I won't, but doubt I'll be getting to it until later this month at this rate.  :mad:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

https://www.horribleguild.com/the-queens-dilemma/

I'm very happy to see the sequel to The King's Dilemma announced today. TKD was a great social game, had a ton of interesting narrative bits, and even had a legacy-game climax that was satisfying to play out and rewarded the players for sticking to it. I can only hope the addition of more mechanics actually ends up making a great game even better.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

A few games into Betrayal at House on the Hill Legacy.
Decent so far.
PDH!