News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

I am probably a one game man at the moment, but I'd be keen to try it once our Brotherhood & Unity game winds down (it seems to be going at a decent speed).

bogh

I am tempted to buy the Deluxe version of the Wallace classic, Struggle of Empires.

https://www.eaglegames.net/Struggle-of-the-Empire-Deluxe-p/102285.htm

Haven't played it for a loooong time, but remember it fondly and the updated version looks really nice.

Oexmelin

Quote from: bogh on April 01, 2021, 11:25:38 AM
I am probably a one game man at the moment, but I'd be keen to try it once our Brotherhood & Unity game winds down (it seems to be going at a decent speed).

Will you try Origins & Odyssey after Brotherhood & Unity?
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

I recently got a big box of new games. One of the interesting ones I think is Verdun 1916: Steel Inferno. It's not a detailed simulation (it has area movement, abstract units, and is card-driven) and I haven't played it, but it looks great and I like that it takes into account the other great WW1 events of the time and their impact on Verdun and vice versa. To me Verdun is the premier WW1 battle (there are many great ones but someone gotta take the top spot).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on April 08, 2021, 01:34:51 PM
I recently got a big box of new games. One of the interesting ones I think is Verdun 1916: Steel Inferno. It's not a detailed simulation (it has area movement, abstract units, and is card-driven) and I haven't played it, but it looks great and I like that it takes into account the other great WW1 events of the time and their impact on Verdun and vice versa. To me Verdun is the premier WW1 battle (there are many great ones but someone gotta take the top spot).

Vimy Ridge. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2021, 01:52:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 08, 2021, 01:34:51 PM

Vimy Ridge. :Canuck:

Your misguided sense of patriotism is a credit to your nation. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Habbaku

Mine arrived last week; I'm looking to get it played within the next couple of weeks.

Marc's a really nice guy and knows his shit, so I felt compelled to buy. It may end up replacing Wilderness War for me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Apparently so. We have mutual acquaintances (who relayed his "proud papa" pictures on FB), if only because he made extensive use of collective historical expertise. I was hoping to play with some colleagues historians of New France but pandemic. I'll probably assign the game to interested students in my public history class next year. (I did that with Wilderness War many years ago, and it produced a really good paper).

Tamas

Ordered Atlantic Chase yesterday because I have been reading and watching raving reviews and is at a reasonable price, seemed like a good idea to pick up while in print. Then today it was followed with Space Infantry Resurgence because of reasons.

And also I have ordered a sort of foldable bookshelf to hold some of my games.  :D Our rented flat came furnished and since we eventually want our own place we are trying to utilise what's already here (so less hassle moving out) but this results in extremely inefficient use of space.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 06:52:37 AM
Ordered Atlantic Chase yesterday because I have been reading and watching raving reviews and is at a reasonable price, seemed like a good idea to pick up while in print.

I've got my eye on Atlantic Chase as well, I was hoping to pick it up in a sale but maybe I shouldn't risk waiting that long.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on April 19, 2021, 07:01:34 AM
Ordered Atlantic Chase yesterday because I have been reading and watching raving reviews and is at a reasonable price, seemed like a good idea to pick up while in print.

I've got my eye on Atlantic Chase as well, I was hoping to pick it up in a sale but maybe I shouldn't risk waiting that long.

I am most intrigued by the innovative mechanics rather than just by the topic, so could have waited, but also felt like I wanted it eventually, and if I had to order a used copy for £80 when it is now available new for £55 would irk me. Can always sell for £80 in a couple of years if I don't like it. :P

Speaking of selling stuff: guys, I have a pristine copy of Hearts and Minds 3rd edition, and a good condition half-punched copy of Balance of Powers, you get a discount if you by both of them off me. :P

Tamas

I read GMT is now out of stock on this one. My preorder from a British store still hasn't shipped, I am hoping they have a big enough batch on the way to them.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on May 04, 2021, 06:07:14 PM

I read GMT is now out of stock on this one. My preorder from a British store still hasn't shipped, I am hoping they have a big enough batch on the way to them.

I'm trying to get one through BGG, but no luck so far. GMT will hopefully do a reprint soon, I'm ok with waiting half a year to get it errata-free.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on May 05, 2021, 01:44:08 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 04, 2021, 06:07:14 PM

I'm trying to get one through BGG, but no luck so far. GMT will hopefully do a reprint soon, I'm ok with waiting half a year to get it errata-free.

It seems like the UK shops haven't received their latest GMT shipment. I ordered Atlantic Chase from one a few weeks ago, then recently made an order with another one which included Tomahawks & Bayonets. Neither one has shipped. By the looks of it I am gonna' have to play a wargame this weekend that I already played once.  :mad: