News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Had a two county vassal in Croatia conquer Italy unexpectedly in my Apostolic Byzantine Empire game. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2021, 10:01:24 AM
Had a two county vassal in Croatia conquer Italy unexpectedly in my Apostolic Byzantine Empire game. :)

The Crusader Kings III thread is down the hall.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

So I bought Brotherhood and Unity:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255570/brotherhood-unity

It's a three-way asymmetric war-game depicting the war in Bosnia (Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks). It's card driven, point to point and openly acknowledges Paths of Glory as the primary inspiration. It looks simpler and much more streamlined, but with some serious meat and unique mechanics. Foreign relations function as a natural brake on aggressive play, as any major city changing hands will push world opinion against the attacker and force them to spend ressources mending relations (allowing opponents to regroup meanwhile). The Serbs start strong but end up on the defensive, Bosniaks do the inverse and the Croats have a stable position throughout the game.

The theme alone would probably prompt a purchase from me (I lived and worked in Sarajevo for a while, travelled extensively in the region and did a lot of papers on Bosnia when I studied), but the game itself looks really good. Over the past year I've become a massive Paths of Glory buff, so that lineage is a plus too. The graphic design is a bit bland (NATO counters etc.), but the production is top notch - thick counters & cards, heavy mounted board etc.

Haven't gotten it to the table yet, but I am really looking forward to it.

Habbaku

It's definitely on my short-list as well, as I've heard nothing but good things. If there's a CB or Vassal module, I'd consider PBEM with someone reliable.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2021, 02:25:18 PM
It's definitely on my short-list as well, as I've heard nothing but good things. If there's a CB or Vassal module, I'd consider PBEM with someone reliable.  :hmm:

I think there's a well done Vassal module. I think a three player setup is the best version of the game, but two players probably isn't bad.

Habbaku

I'd definitely be shooting for 3 on that. Seems like it was designed at the outset for that in mind, so no matter how good the 2-player is...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Well, if we can rustle up a third guy, I'd love to give it a spin.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Seems like quite a low complexity game, let's do it. :)

lol can I be: Croats?

Tamas

Where's the Vassal module, though?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

bogh

Cool. I've mostly played real-time on vassal, but know about log files etc. Do we send files back and forth or keep track separately with occasional reconciliation? What's the better model?

Habbaku

Definitely sending files back and forth, in my experience. Far too much chance of board-state conflict if we all maintain separate states independently.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien