News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Very interested. I've had it on my buy-list for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger just yet.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Nice, it can accommodate up to 6 people IIRC and I think ideally we'd want 4 at least.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2021, 11:00:46 AM
Apparently there is now a Stellar Horizons Vassal module. Game info is here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/217990/stellar-horizons

It's a pretty awesome game because you are going through some very realistic-feeling 4X phases of populating the solar system, first exploration, then some challengingly assembled industrial operations gradually revving up to become a viable enterprise and empire.

On the other hand it takes ridiculous amount of table space and ludicrous amount of time, so it could possibly be a good fit for PBEM. Anyone interested in giving it a go?

Ayuh.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: frunk on January 05, 2021, 06:16:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 04, 2021, 07:42:10 PM
High Frontier 4th Ed. just arrived. What a thing to behold.

Congrats!  If you plan to do solitaire definitely get the latest living rules.  The regular game plays pretty well out of the box but solo was a mess.

If you are new to HF start with Space Diamonds (to learn the map) or Race for Glory (to learn basic economy, rocket landings/liftoffs and how the cards work).

Thanks!
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

In the wake of the disaster at Ursula's home, Lita Chantler, the red-haired woman from your parlor, lays out a tale that—even in light of what you have just witnessed—strains the limits of your belief.

"The creatures in your home", she claims, "are called ghouls—cruel beings who plague the crypts, caverns, and tunnels beneath the city of Arkham..."

"These creatures feed on the corpses of humans, and they are served by a dark cult within Arkham whose members have inexplicably come to worship the ancient master of the ghouls.This cult has been killing innocent people and feeding them to the ghouls, satiating a monstrous hunger. A dark balance was maintained. Until now. Recently," Lita continues, "one of their lairs, where the corpses were stored, was destroyed. Since then, the ghouls have been more active than usual. I have tracked their movements and tried my best to stop them from running amok throughout the city. But I think there is something worse going on. The cult has been planning something darker, and more ominous, than anything I have yet observed. Indications are that this plan shall come to fruition tonight, shortly after midnight. Beyond that, I cannot fathom what to expect.

"Many of the cultists," Lita continues, "will seem like everyday people, despite their foul intentions. Whenever the cult meets, its members don masks shaped like the skulls of various animals to protect their identities from one another. These masks are our mark. Symbols of death and decay. We must unmask the cultists to expose and derail their plans. We have but a few hours. The more cultists we find before midnight, the better."

Ursula's and Zoey's girls night on the town looking for Cultists.

During the turn, Ursula moves to Northside Arkham to distract and evade the Hunting Nightgaunt and Masked Hunter cultist (Causing them both to exhaust). Five other cultist were identified and unmasked earlier. The Masked Hunter was the last remaining. Ursula catches a lucky break, allowing her to slip back to Downtown Arkham (Pulls an Elder sign token on the last evade action, allowing her a free move to a connecting location).

With Ursula safely out of the area, Zoey lobs a dynamite bundle (Dynamite Blast) at the Nightgaunt and Masked Hunter, severely injuring both. With the help of Leo De Luca (Allows an additional action), Zoey finishes off both wounded enemies in quick fashion with her machete.   

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

How much SAN have you lost playing this?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on February 09, 2021, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 09, 2021, 07:52:56 AM
How much SAN have you lost playing this?

Not much left to start with.

To paraphrase Horatio Nelson, "he did not lose much sanity, for God knows he had not much to lose - but he lost all he had."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Finally found a new Next War India/Pakistan at a decent price.

garbon

Just got a package at my door. Was an errata/update kit for three boardgames (only one of which I own :D) for Imperial Struggle, Versailles 1919 and All Bridges Burning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on February 22, 2021, 02:59:02 PM

Nice! I think for non-solitaire I'd definitely prefer it over Poland - Poland can be quite fun and interesting with the myriad of NATO nationalities arriving in a random rush and the whole Baltic Sea stuff, but I don't think it is balanced.

You can tell that also by there being something like 4 strategy articles on GMT for India-Pakistan and zero for Poland.

bogh

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2021, 07:11:46 AM
Just got a package at my door. Was an errata/update kit for three boardgames (only one of which I own :D) for Imperial Struggle, Versailles 1919 and All Bridges Burning.

Yeah, I got it as well. I only have Imperial Struggle. Nice bit of post purchase support from GMT there.

Habbaku

I'm glad they provide those gratis and in a relatively quick time-span, because the errors in both of those games, while not at all crippling, are really annoying.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2021, 07:15:39 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 22, 2021, 02:59:02 PM

Nice! I think for non-solitaire I'd definitely prefer it over Poland - Poland can be quite fun and interesting with the myriad of NATO nationalities arriving in a random rush and the whole Baltic Sea stuff, but I don't think it is balanced.

You can tell that also by there being something like 4 strategy articles on GMT for India-Pakistan and zero for Poland.

:cheers:

Tamas

An English guy put a shrinkwrapped copy of Comancheria up for sale so I quickly grabbed it.

Very cool solitaire game, quite thematic, and it has very smart mechanics that allow a solitaire game with a lot of meaningful and tough decision points without bogging you down in myriad of rules.