News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Heh, that looks pretty interesting and I love the period. Pity I have no hope of getting my group to play heavy historical games like that anymore.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on June 16, 2020, 05:37:25 AM
Heh, that looks pretty interesting and I love the period. Pity I have no hope of getting my group to play heavy historical games like that anymore.

Yeah, same. I might get it anyway.

Oexmelin

One of my colleague's student made a short study / analysis of boardgame representations of women and people of color. It may be of interest to some.

http://analoggamestudies.org/2018/12/assessing-gender-and-racial-representation-in-top-rated-boardgamegeek-games/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Sadly, also from 2018. I'll give it a read (and thanks for linking it!), but I'm curious if there's been any updates since.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Yes. Student in question has re-circulated it because of current circumstances, and in the hopes that someone might do the work for the following two years.

tl;dr:

94% of boardgame designers (of BGG's top 200) are white men.
81% of boardgame illustrators are white men
45% of boardgame illustrations depicting figures are white men, 15% are white women, 20% are aliens or animals, 5% are non-white women.   

11B4V

Ursula starting The Midnight Masks.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Saladin

I have two new additions to my collection:
Undaunted Normandy and Great Western Trail.  :yeah:
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

The Brain

I may have seen Great Western Tail.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Great Western Trail is a fun Euro.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

It is. I played it with a colleague who works on the history of cattle breeding - she couldn't believe such a game existed.

I have not played Undaunted Normandy / North Africa, but heard great things.

Oexmelin

Also, if you are interested in solo RPG, this one is getting great buzz:

https://timhutchings.itch.io/tyov

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 29, 2020, 11:53:03 AM
Also, if you are interested in solo RPG, this one is getting great buzz:

https://timhutchings.itch.io/tyov

I quite impulsively bought the dead tree edition because I thought it looked cool. I will let everybody know if it is a good game :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 10:00:08 PM
I quite impulsively bought the dead tree edition because I thought it looked cool. I will let everybody know if it is a good game :P

Please do. :)

Habbaku

Imperial Struggle landed today. :yeah:

First game on Sunday. :yeah:

John Company campaign tomorrow. :yeah:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on July 03, 2020, 09:36:12 PM
Imperial Struggle landed today. :yeah:

Should get mine soon too, it's on the way.