News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2020, 12:24:33 PM
I would encourage you to cancel your Hearts and Minds order, but you seem dead set on it. I really didn't care for the game's modeling of Vietnam.

Really? Care to elaborate?  People seem to like it.

Habbaku

Mostly, my complaints are the situation (with the first edition, it should be noted) just wasn't all that fun. The campaign game (which I played 3 times) comes down to Stalingrad-esque battles with the North Vietnamese and some really weird situations around what emphasis the victory conditions placed. The fog of the years has drained a lot of the particulars out, but that's what irked me the most. Maybe the new edition has fixed it, but unless they overhauled combat and the force pool, I doubt it.

Also, there was definitely a Bradley or something on one of the counter silhouettes...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
Mostly, my complaints are the situation (with the first edition, it should be noted) just wasn't all that fun. The campaign game (which I played 3 times) comes down to Stalingrad-esque battles with the North Vietnamese and some really weird situations around what emphasis the victory conditions placed. The fog of the years has drained a lot of the particulars out, but that's what irked me the most. Maybe the new edition has fixed it, but unless they overhauled combat and the force pool, I doubt it.

Also, there was definitely a Bradley or something on one of the counter silhouettes...

Thanks.

Tamas

BTW. most meatier wargames, especially strategic/big operational ones are using two 22x32'' maps. My table technically can manage that but then NOTHING else fits on it, which is obviously far from ideal with the kind of game that would take such a large map space to begin with.

Any wargame recommendations that either use a single such map or something that ain't that large?

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2020, 03:28:26 PM
BTW. most meatier wargames, especially strategic/big operational ones are using two 22x32'' maps. My table technically can manage that but then NOTHING else fits on it, which is obviously far from ideal with the kind of game that would take such a large map space to begin with.

Any wargame recommendations that either use a single such map or something that ain't that large?

Empire of the Sun.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on April 29, 2020, 03:37:11 PM

Empire of the Sun.

Thanks a friend of mine owns it and many years ago we had some awesome Vassal games of it. It ain't a monster on the table then? Neat!

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2020, 03:39:45 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 29, 2020, 03:37:11 PM

Empire of the Sun.

Thanks a friend of mine owns it and many years ago we had some awesome Vassal games of it. It ain't a monster on the table then? Neat!

No, just a single 22x32'' map.

Berkut

Empire of the Sun is such a good game.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Anyone else see that he is re-doing Pacific War?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-865-pacific-war-the-struggle-against-japan-1941-1945.aspx

I pre-ordered just because. But I thought this was kind of interesting from our buddy Mark Herman:

QuoteThe key question that I consider when buying a new game is will it hit the table? The owners and reviewers who created the game's reputation were excited that Pacific War had a layered set of scenarios that incorporated fifteen-minute solitaire learning engagements, two hour battles (such as Coral Sea and Santa Cruz that were used in a decade of tournaments), two to eight hour Campaigns (such as Malaya, Guadalcanal and Breaking the Bismarck barrier), and of course the Strategic scenarios that cover the entire war from a single year to the entire war. Will you ever play the entire war? It's unlikely (to date I have only done it three times). However, Pacific War is an operational level game and the Campaign scenarios are the heart and soul of this game system. Most play in an afternoon to completion. So, will it hit the table? Only you can answer that question, but from a time and learning perspective this game will support any time commitment you wish to make, to include the 100+ hour Strategic Scenario.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Herman's commentary on PW has been pretty cool, to me. He openly acknowledges that many people really shouldn't be buying the game because he's designing it with very specific goals in mind. And if you don't like that? Pound sand.

I don't really care for Herman's lazy, dishonest defenses of some of his past game, but if he's going to get ahead of criticism, I think he's doing it correctly this time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Yeah, I think he is at a point in his career where he can be pretty straight about what he is trying to do, and if that is cool with you - awesome! If not....oh well.

If the entire campaign is only a couple hundred hours, I don't see why that would scare anyone off anyway!

0 rows returned

Oexmelin

I am tempted to purchase Vital Lacerda's Lisboa for theme and aesthetics alone. Thinking my usual gaming group would pick it up seems more of wishful thinking at this point. Has anyone tried Lisboa?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Haven't tried it, but as far as dense Euros go, you can't go wrong with Lacerda.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

We have played and enjoyed tremendously The Gallerist (one of my friends is a curator...) - my understanding is that Lisboa is a little messier. The person I would really want to play it with is a fellow boardgame enthusiast, a friend I met in a conference about 1755 Lisbon... (but she lives in Switzerland)
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Fuck, I just bought the whole GMT Next War series and SPI's Panzer Group Guderian.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".