News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Granted, I have just played a couple 2nd Ed games, but I'm the weirdo that likes Pax Pamir 1st ed more. I liked the quirky mechanics, even if they are clunky sometimes. If I want a leaner, simpler, Pax game I'll just go play Porfiriana.

Tamas

I've been totally addicted to the 3rd edition of High Frontier, lately. I just play it solitaire, enjoying the glorious hard sci-fi number-crunching.  :blush:

I used to play it properly with my boardgaming friends, back with the 2nd edition.

Great game.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2020, 09:48:08 AM
I've been totally addicted to the 3rd edition of High Frontier, lately. I just play it solitaire, enjoying the glorious hard sci-fi number-crunching.  :blush:

I used to play it properly with my boardgaming friends, back with the 2nd edition.

Great game.

You're such a humongous nerd.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

3rd Edition?

I wasn't aware anyone played the first edition, much less that there was a 2nd and then a 3rd....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on January 31, 2020, 07:50:38 PM
3rd Edition?

I wasn't aware anyone played the first edition, much less that there was a 2nd and then a 3rd....

3rd edition is awesome, and 4th is coming out this summer.

Berkut

Tell us more. I always thought it looked super interesting, but not really playable.

Is there an upgrade kit or something?

0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on January 31, 2020, 10:21:30 PM
Tell us more. I always thought it looked super interesting, but not really playable.

Is there an upgrade kit or something?

3rd Edition cleaned up the fuel strip and streamlined a lot of the management while not simplifying it.  It also expanded the coverage of the solar system and added an interstellar solo option.  It's tough to describe the feeling of playing the game once you learn it.  A big chunk of the enjoyment is knowing you are one wrong move (or bad roll) from having several game years of work go up in smoke and being ok with it.  Normally I don't like that type of play, but it reflects the tension of early exploration/exploitation of the solar system so well.  Each time I play I try to pull off a different development route.  If it works, great.  If it fails I'll have an epic story of how I tried to get to pull off some maneuver that I probably shouldn't have.

I think it works really well for 1-3 players.  4 players starts slowing down a bit too much.

There will be an upgrade kit for 2nd and 3rd to 4th.  I think there also was one for 2nd to 3rd but it's long sold out.

Berkut

Interesting. I pre-ordered 4th. You guys are responsible.

0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

I have delved into Federation Commander

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

0 rows returned

Savonarola

I thought this might be of interest to some here; from Smithsonian Magazine:

The Best Board Games of the Ancient World

I learned that board games go all the way back to Ur (although Ur would have been already over a millennia old when the board in the article was made.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

A new arrival by New England Simulations. Same system as The Killing Ground.

The Brain

I know all there is to know about The Killing Ground.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on February 18, 2020, 12:43:43 PM
I know all there is to know about The Killing Ground.

Cool, glad you're familiar with the game mechanics.