News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I got the new edition of Dune. Never played it before.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

Field Commander: Napoleon arrived last night in time for Christmas break. Looking forward to giving it a try.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on December 07, 2019, 05:43:00 PM
I got the new edition of Dune. Never played it before.

I heard it's pretty good.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

This year I've branched out in other directions outside traditional wargames by binge buying.

Arkham Horror
Arkham Horror 3rd edition
Eldrich Horror
Mansions of Madness 2nd edition.

and of course Arkham LCG.

Make the madness stop..... :cthulu:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

Quote from: Camerus on December 21, 2019, 10:15:25 AM
Field Commander: Napoleon arrived last night in time for Christmas break. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Pretty decent solitaire war game. Box is loaded with different campaigns and maps, including Italy, Spain, Russia and Egypt. Only gripe is sometimes AI does weird stuff, but within acceptable levels.

Wife and I play a ton of games, but for some reason she just doesn't appreciate wargames, so it's nice to have a solo option.  :)

11B4V

Anyone play the board game version of This War of Mine?

KRonn

I used to play some of the Avalon Hill wargames. I'm sure people remember those from years ago. Not sure but I think they still sell some games. Their magazine The General was great, I loved it. Lots of interesting military info and background on their games. Does anyone remember that mag?

11B4V

KRonn

AH had some great stuff for its time. There are bigger and better games now but some of those were very nicely done games.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on January 08, 2020, 08:44:17 PM
I used to play some of the Avalon Hill wargames. I'm sure people remember those from years ago. Not sure but I think they still sell some games. Their magazine The General was great, I loved it. Lots of interesting military info and background on their games. Does anyone remember that mag?

The problem with The General was that the history stuff was mostly crap.  The value was in the scenarios, optional rules, and the like, for the games.  I enjoyed it, but had to laugh at the fanboi "history" articles.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: KRonn on January 09, 2020, 09:35:06 PM
AH had some great stuff for its time. There are bigger and better games now but some of those were very nicely done games.

Most certainly. Favs of Mine are;
Original SL series
Longest Day
Up Front
War and Peace

The Minsky Moment

In my youth, I used to take the train into NYC to visit relatives every now and then.  On the way back I'd stop by the Compleat Strategist (still there) to pick up an Avalon Hill game and the latest General.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 13, 2020, 12:25:40 PM
Compleat Strategist (still there)

A small miracle in and of itself. Do they actually own the property? Are their rents fixed from some point in the '70s?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

IIRC they recently signed a new lease.  It's fortunate that the area is still is far from being a hot neighborhood.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson