News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

What's the big deal with Thunder in the East? I developed a headache trying to browse the rules.

Berkut

It looks pretty.

I like games where I can build up and break down units

I like games where the various sides actually look different in how they are structured, rather than just having different combat values

I like games that I think find the right scale for their conflict.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2019, 10:45:58 AM
It looks pretty.

I like games where the various sides actually look different in how they are structured, rather than just having different combat values

plus Frank Chadwick
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on October 08, 2019, 05:18:58 PM
It looks pretty.

plus Frank Chadwick

Does he have something to do with the game?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2019, 06:42:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 08, 2019, 05:18:58 PM
It looks pretty.

plus Frank Chadwick

Does he have something to do with the game?

Unless in mistaken, he's the designer.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Finally picked up a copy of Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35614/where-there-discord-war-south-atlantic/credits

Currently digging into The Defense of Rorke's Drift

The Defense of Rorke's Drift

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7840/defense-rorkes-drift

Tamas

Pendragon is awesome. The bots appear pretty good, at least playing as the Civitates, I can't really have a cooperation with the Dux, so that ought to make it a bit easier on bot barbarians, even though bot Dux are pretty decent mopping them up.

It is very cool to see Roman Britain gradually unravel, with you trying to slow the process long enough to win the game.

Gandhi is also pretty great, in a lot of ways on the opposite end of the Coin spectrum. Pendragon is full of little rules that are great for simulation purposes, but make it quite the monster game, almost.

Gandhi is much more elegant, and the non-violent factions are done excellently, I think. As the Raj they pose a tough challenge. If you want to curb them quickly, you end up helping their agenda with your actions, and if you're slow and lenient then you may not be able to stop them from winning. The traditional violent insurgent faction can also be trouble, of course, but dealing with them is standard COIN fare.

The Gandhi bots are using a partial card-based system, I am not sure what to think of it. It makes the bits much more variedand unpredictable, and the way the system works, if a faction desperstely need one kind of action it will end up doing it, but on the other hand, there is less of an illusion of an overall scripted plan, as with the other COIN bots.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2019, 07:25:22 AM
Gandhi is also pretty great, in a lot of ways on the opposite end of the Coin spectrum. Pendragon is full of little rules that are great for simulation purposes, but make it quite the monster game, almost

Which is a little odd because there is a lot of rich historical information we have about pre-independence India for simulation purposes whereas we know virtually nothing about the period covered by Pendragon, such that the game necessarily is a fantasy scenario, or at best extreme speculation. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2019, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2019, 07:25:22 AM
Gandhi is also pretty great, in a lot of ways on the opposite end of the Coin spectrum. Pendragon is full of little rules that are great for simulation purposes, but make it quite the monster game, almost

Which is a little odd because there is a lot of rich historical information we have about pre-independence India for simulation purposes whereas we know virtually nothing about the period covered by Pendragon, such that the game necessarily is a fantasy scenario, or at best extreme speculation.

Well yes of course, and Pendragon acknowledges this. It's hard to explain if one hasn't played a COIN game. They are very euro-ish but manage to maintain an air of historical simulation, even if highly abstracted.

One cool thing about these games is the historical background info provided in the playbook on the different events depicted on cards. In Gandhi, these are almost all some single, well-documented events, acts, articles, etc. as you mentioned, and these have quite obvious links to their in-game effects. In Pendragon it's more about historical places/sites/events, often with a lot of speculation, and an in-game effect very loosely tied to them.

The Minsky Moment

I'll probably pick it up - I do have interest in the period and it sounds like one of the better efforts in the series.  Curious to see how they handled things.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2019, 11:54:42 AM
I'll probably pick it up - I do have interest in the period and it sounds like one of the better efforts in the series.  Curious to see how they handled things.

If you have played any of the other COIN games and were generally ok with it, then I am sure you'll like it, considering your interest in the period.

But as someone's very first COIN game, it might be tough to digest.

Habbaku

Pendragon is definitely one of the few (the other is Fire in the Lake) COIN games that I think might actually map system to topic. Many of the rest (especially, for example, the American Revolution one) just seem so ham-handed in shoving the square peg of four players into the round hole of however many factions should actually be involved.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

John Company (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/john-company) continues to entertain amongst my local group.

We had a pretty...unique situation yesterday. At a full table, we ended the first turn with the company barely making enough money to sustain trade for turn 2's operations. And then turn 2's end saw failures to conquer, failures to trade, depression in every Indian state (4 events turn 1, 3 events turn 2, most of which were depression results), and then the events at end of turn 2 destroyed 7 ships that conducted trade. Combined with the bailout that triggered and some untimely retirement rolls, we ended up with only 1 Presidency actually operating in the next turn.

A few players kept injecting capital to keep the company going a few more turns, but the debt pileup ended up resulting in rolling bailouts, a revolving-door of retirement/firings, and eventual collapse when the last President standing deliberately tanked operations due to being ahead in VPs (final scores being 8, 7, 6, 5, 5, and 3).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

I am looking forward to the second printing next year. Thinking of offering an elective « History through board games » as I just discovered my only grad students is really into it.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

It is definitely one of the best boardgames to show the fucked-up incentives that the entire operation was laboring under. Cole Wehrle got everything right in that department.

-J. R. R. Tolkien