News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Oexmelin

If you want to go with local flavor, there is also Mysterium (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181304/mysterium) which is a Polish boardgame that won a bunch of awards (my group really likes this game).

We also like Robinson Crusoe (another Polish game) but it's more clunky, and its appeal, to me is more about the narratives you build with others.

Concordia is indeed nice and simple.

Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

Mysterium is really popular among the boardgaming plebs, it's definitely in the "they might own it already" category if they have a passing interest in the hobby.

Habbaku

I think that if they're already versed in the boardgaming community to some extent, Root is a great idea. Ditto any of the simpler Sierra Madre designs or other, heavyish Euros.

Caverna is a big hit amongst my boardgame-dabbler friends, for instance.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2019, 12:51:15 PM

Apparently it's quite nice. How is the interaction between players? My group is moving increasingly away from Euro games in which players basically do their own things without any more interaction than stealing a spot with your worker.

It's the reason why I am partial to Lowlands, myself, when it comes to Euro/farming/worker/sandbox. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242804/lowlands

celedhring

I think that if they're already versed in the boardgaming community to some extent, Root is a great idea. Ditto any of the simpler Sierra Madre designs or other, heavyish Euros.

Definitely agree with Root. The cuteness factor also makes it good for a wedding gift, I guess.

Oexmelin

The only question with Root is how proficient are these people in English. It's quite language dependent.

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 07, 2019, 01:13:50 PM

Apparently it's quite nice. How is the interaction between players? My group is moving increasingly away from Euro games in which players basically do their own things without any more interaction than stealing a spot with your worker.

It's the reason why I am partial to Lowlands, myself, when it comes to Euro/farming/worker/sandbox. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242804/lowlands

Interaction is fairly limited to what you describe--seizing a space from someone else. I would say I am typically not a fan of games that limit the interaction to that level, but I think it works in Caverna because of just how impactful seizing spaces and buildings from other players can be. It's a really big deal to get to specific buildings before others--to the point that it will radically shift a strategy if taken early enough in the game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on July 03, 2019, 03:28:18 AM
Anyone got any opinions on
Labyrinth: The War on Terror
?

Not really, but I'm looking forward to being able to play it on my phone.

Tamas

Does it have: a release date? The Twilight Struggle digital version is excellent I am hoping for the same quality here.

Solmyr

I saw it in a local boardgame store, so I assume it's already released. :P The Boardgamegeek page says it's from 2010. I just thought it looked interesting and similar to Twilight Struggle, so I wanted to ask if anyone's played it.

Apparently there's also an expansion from 2016.

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on July 03, 2019, 09:25:35 AM
I saw it in a local boardgame store, so I assume it's already released. :P The Boardgamegeek page says it's from 2010. I just thought it looked interesting and similar to Twilight Struggle, so I wanted to ask if anyone's played it.

We were talking about the digital edition, coming out soon(ish).
The game is supposed to be pretty good, an expansion just came out I believe, taking it into the IS years.

Solmyr

Ah, okay. Well, I'm interested in the boardgame version. :D

Tamas

I enjoyed the boardgame version. It is no Twilight Struggle but still good.

What I appreciate about it in hindsight is that playing it pre-2011, the notion of Jihadists encouraging and benefiting from a global domino effect of destabilising Muslim countries seemed a bit far-fetched and gamey. It doesn't anymore.