And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2018, 03:10:35 AM
Quote from: Delirium on October 20, 2018, 01:10:16 AM
I have played A World at War and it is impressive to look at but actually close to unplayable.

What makes it close to unplayable? I've only played ATR back in the day, never A World at War.

We played A3R too and that was fine. Imagine someone taking A3R and making both the naval, political and economic rules 10 times more complex but leaving the land combat rules exactly as they are (which is what they were in 1974 in Third Reich).
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Minsky Moment

The only thing I am interested in in the sale is actually the next war games. People are saying Poland is complex with a confusing rulebook but I am tempted. Have a thing with modern conflicts currently.

They seem at little to fiddly to me but the India-Pakistan one was intriguing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Delirium on October 22, 2018, 02:21:11 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2018, 03:10:35 AM
I have played A World at War and it is impressive to look at but actually close to unplayable.

What makes it close to unplayable? I've only played ATR back in the day, never A World at War.

We played A3R too and that was fine. Imagine someone taking A3R and making both the naval, political and economic rules 10 times more complex but leaving the land combat rules exactly as they are (which is what they were in 1974 in Third Reich).

Thanks!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The only thing I am interested in in the sale is actually the next war games. People are saying Poland is complex with a confusing rulebook but I am tempted. Have a thing with modern conflicts currently.

A local and I are going to be trying NW: Poland somewhat soon. I'll try to let you know our experiences.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I pulled the trigger on NW: Taiwan actually, a local has recommended it plus I wanted a different setting than Eastern Europe yet again...also the update kit of course, for some reason I keep thinking update kits are a good thing for a game...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

Aforementioned local scanned all the files and stuff for me and we're going to do a couple of turns via Vassal. Maybe a whole game? Anyway, it's prep for the real thing soon.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I can at least report that the package with Next War: Taiwan, the NW #1 Supplement and 10 counter trays finally made it overseas and I was able to pick it up Friday. With the extra fees on daring to bring in shipments to the EU I saved somewhere in the proximity of 20 dollars on ordering directly compared to buying it over here with no sale...

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: 11B4V on January 01, 2019, 05:09:30 PM
Anyone check out SpaceCorp yet?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214029/spacecorp

Also anyone following The Tainted Grail?
http://awakenrealms.com/games/tainted-grail-the-fall-of-avalon/

I backed Tainted Grail. My group enjoys story-heavy games and this seemed fairly unique.

Berkut

I have it and am itching to try it - will certainly get some play at NBW in a couple weeks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on January 01, 2019, 06:10:53 PM

Also anyone following The Tainted Grail?
http://awakenrealms.com/games/tainted-grail-the-fall-of-avalon/

I backed Tainted Grail. My group enjoys story-heavy games and this seemed fairly unique.

I was/am fairly interested in the idea, but am pretty gunshy about Kickstarter these days. If it turns out to be good, I'll definitely buy it second-hand.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2019, 09:34:24 AM

I have it and am itching to try it - will certainly get some play at NBW in a couple weeks.

There will be about 3.2 million copies of it at NBW.

-J. R. R. Tolkien