News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

frunk

There's about 4 threads I could file this under, but Through the Ages just got an implementation on Steam.  It's also selling with a ~30% discount.

The interface is decent although not perfect.  After one game I had it down, and if you are familiar with the board game it should be easy to pick up.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on March 28, 2018, 08:44:03 AM
There's about 4 threads I could file this under, but Through the Ages just got an implementation on Steam.  It's also selling with a ~30% discount.

The interface is decent although not perfect.  After one game I had it down, and if you are familiar with the board game it should be easy to pick up.

This is the worst thread for it :P

I think the UI is pretty good. Converting a boardgame to computer is NOT easy. Looks like they have done a great job with this one, I am enjoying it.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2018, 08:59:08 AM
This is the worst thread for it :P

I think it's the best thread, as the main target is people who are familiar with the board game.

Delirium

Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2018, 03:48:49 PM
Hey Del, I need your help. What's a good source in Sweden for plastic to put over unmounted maps on the table? I have some from old poster frames, but there has to be a better source for new stuff.

Yo, a not very frequent visitor these days. I have one custom made sheet of glass given to me as a birthday present but those are expensive...and heavy. IKEA frames are probably the best solution, i have two of those as well. Problem therevis the measurements are not very compatible though.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Brain

Quote from: Delirium on March 31, 2018, 12:16:33 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2018, 03:48:49 PM
Hey Del, I need your help. What's a good source in Sweden for plastic to put over unmounted maps on the table? I have some from old poster frames, but there has to be a better source for new stuff.

Yo, a not very frequent visitor these days. I have one custom made sheet of glass given to me as a birthday present but those are expensive...and heavy. IKEA frames are probably the best solution, i have two of those as well. Problem therevis the measurements are not very compatible though.

Thanks. :)

While waiting for a response I got some frames from Clark Olofsson. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on March 28, 2018, 08:44:03 AM

I bought it during the steam sale.  I knew nothing about the board game, but it was cheap and looked interesting.  The hilarious tutorial was itself worth the money I paid for it.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2018, 04:41:33 PM
I bought it during the steam sale.  I knew nothing about the board game, but it was cheap and looked interesting.  The hilarious tutorial was itself worth the money I paid for it.

The designer is known for having the funniest rule books in board games, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

The Brain

My copy of Rising Sun arrived. Lovely monster minis.

The Brain

I don't really like that they have Hokkaido in the game. A bit of an immersion killer. But maybe they comment on it in the rules and explain why. I haven't read the rules yet.

Solmyr

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2018, 06:04:27 AM
Anyone have experience of Triumph & Tragedy?

Yeah. It's a perfectly fine Euro with a WWII theme. I didn't care for it, but lots of people love it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2018, 06:03:46 AM
I don't really like that they have Hokkaido in the game. A bit of an immersion killer. But maybe they comment on it in the rules and explain why. I haven't read the rules yet.

No, they did not.

The Brain

bogh

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2018, 06:04:27 AM
Anyone have experience of Triumph & Tragedy?

Yeah. I am a fan and I have played it pretty extensively with a couple of regular opponents. After probably ten games it still feels unpredictable and fresh and we are still seeing new strategies and counters.

It hits the sweet spot for us in terms of grand scope, lots of freedom, player count (I have plenty of two and four player games), mechanical elegance and good pacing. Every decision is a trade off and there is just enough randomness injected.

My biggest gripe is the late game German position. If Germany fails to win early on, they can end up a shared punching bag and have no path to victory, but can still spoil in either direction. As we are a tightly knit group playing to enjoy ourselves and the narrative as much as the game, it isn't a massive issue for us, but I would consider it a bit of a design flaw (though one I have no idea about how to fix).