News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2018, 04:26:04 PM
More Gloomhaven with my friends today. I should feel guilty to have fallen into the BGG hype machine but god, I love this game.  :sleep:

Haven't played but have seen a lot of the hype there.  Really that good eh?

celedhring

Quote from: PRC on January 22, 2018, 12:17:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2018, 04:26:04 PM
More Gloomhaven with my friends today. I should feel guilty to have fallen into the BGG hype machine but god, I love this game.  :sleep:

Haven't played but have seen a lot of the hype there.  Really that good eh?

It takes your ameritrash dungeon crawler and replaces dice-chucking with a pretty deep card-based combat system. I love all the decision-making involved.

Oexmelin

How long does a game generally last?
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2018, 03:23:40 PM
How long does a game generally last?

3 hours with four players is our average for playing one scenario. Lower player count makes for shorter games.

Base game has 100 scenarios, with a multi-branching campaign with side questlines and such. It's practically impossible to finish the game unless you play it obsessively.

There's a shorter campaign that the author released for the second KS (10 scenarios, much more manageable), and he's releasing another one this year (all downloadable for free).

Kleves

I'm definitely tempted by Gloomhaven. Is there much/any role playing outside of combat?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

I am definitely more interested in it now with Celed's recommendation. The thing with BGG hype is that more often than not its the autistic-spectrum drooling over some OCD-fest

celedhring

Quote from: Kleves on January 24, 2018, 05:20:40 PM
I'm definitely tempted by Gloomhaven. Is there much/any role playing outside of combat?

No. You have encounter decks which pose some choices, and the campaign has a degree of choice&consequence since it has different branches, but 90% of the game is just going into dungeons to kill stuff. It's just really good at that.

There's lots of lore & story though.

mongers

Yesterday had a wander around a waterstones bookshop, lots of boardgames in there, including re-issues of 'Escape from Colditz' :wub:

Not so keep on the price tag of $70.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Delirium

I have fallen for the died-down hype of Scythe and really enjoy it after four completed games. It's bordering on too abstract euro but gets away with it for two reasons, one, it allows for a lot of conflict for those who want it (we do) and two, a game can be completed in less than 2,5 hours but it really feels like more than that, in a good way.

Thumbs up from me.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

John Company is out and looks spectacular. Hopefully a Vassal module is developed soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Five others and I played Charterstone for the first time tonight. It's a legacy game, but a worker-placement Euro with a story behind it. Surprisingly, it's actually very, very good. The game isn't really ultra-competitive in the vein of the players trying to win each individual game (though they gain bonuses for doing so), but instead encourages people to build long-term and go for the campaign victory.

It's a good way to burn an hour and has some intriguing innovations on worker-placement from what I've seen so far. The mystery element of opening new boxes/cards is sure to keep pulling me in as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

worker-placement  :x

et tu, Habbaku  :(

Habbaku

Shh, I'm trying to bait Seedy into returning.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2018, 03:48:52 PM
John Company is out and looks spectacular. Hopefully a Vassal module is developed soon.

I gave this a bit of a learning try via Tabletop Simulator as I was really curious. I think if all players are well knowledgeable on how to win and can appreciate the theme, then its nice. Otherwise, I am not sure.

Habbaku

I wouldn't want to play a game where the players weren't knowledgeable on how to win.  :huh:

-J. R. R. Tolkien