News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2017, 10:27:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2017, 10:23:53 PM
I want get one of my friends to play Dien Bien Phu, but they would rather play old Avalon Hill games.  :(

Which one? MMP's Storm Over DBP or the other one that's floating around (from Legion, I think)? SoDBP is one of the best games of the last several years. You need more adventurous friends. Or older kids.  :P

MMP's. The kids like Ogre.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2017, 10:28:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2017, 10:26:00 PM
Unfortunately it's only solo for the UK side.  Alas, can't shred any snotty Brits with A-4s in this one.

will you: count them all out

I certainly won't draw their locations in the sand.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2017, 10:31:55 PM
MMP's. The kids like Ogre.

Not a bad game to start with, at least. They'll mature at some point. I'll pray for you. :pope:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2017, 10:23:53 PM
but they would rather play old Avalon Hill games.  :(

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But they should appreciate the opportunity to play new stuff FTF IRL LOLWUT etc.

CountDeMoney

I noticed Tonitrus' avatar today, and then saw this just came out--

The playing-pieces-I-am-going-to-use-for-every-other-family-game-like-forever that come with the 1st printing--

Ed Anger

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

I HAVE TO BE THE LOBOTOMIZED BLACK GUY? This game sucks

Valmy

I am going to get my kid one of those solo wargames for Christmas. What do you recommend? I was thinking this Alamo one just so I can teach him some local history along the way: https://www.victorypointgames.com/a-blood-red-banner.html

But victory games and their stuff might really suck, I have been out of the loop for awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2017, 10:30:26 PM
How old is he?

He is 7. That is why I want a short solo game. We can play together and it has to be short.

He was really enjoying Stratego so I figured it was time :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Sorry, got nothing.  Never been married and don't have kids.  Can't help you.

11B4V

Valmy I'd say your on the right track with Victory Point. However, IMO 7yo and solo war games aren't a very good mix.

I'd start him out with you guiding him on;
Heritage Battle Cry
Risk
Axis and Allies.
Low complexity 2 player wargames (Memoir '44, World at War, Nations at War, Ogre, etc

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10630/memoir-44

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on November 03, 2017, 09:42:28 AM
Valmy I'd say your on the right track with Victory Point. However, IMO 7yo and solo war games aren't a very good mix.

I'd start him out with you guiding him on;
Heritage Battle Cry
Risk
Axis and Allies.
Low complexity 2 player wargames (Memoir '44, World at War, Nations at War, Ogre, etc

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10630/memoir-44

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

Yep. Solo game for a kid is a bad idea IMHO. Listen to the man.