News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Delirium on February 17, 2017, 05:33:43 AM

On MMP vs GMT: I dunno if they are really comparable companies? GMT produce everything (some say too much): some of it will have lesser quality. MMP have ASL modules and maybe a handful of other games each year? I can see the point that MMP do not have as flagrant cock ups EXCEPT War of the Suns which was a disaster, but I put that blame on Starkweather; and come to think of it people were complaining about The Greatest Day as well...same culprit, see the pattern? Given output quantities perhaps the clutz level is about equal?

FWIW, quality aside, I've never cared much for the counter graphics in most GMT products.  That's just a matter of personal taste, though.

QuoteFor me personally I do not view either GMT or MMP as a "risk" company when buying games. Decision, now on the other hand...

Agree.  I've got very mixed feelings about DG.  On the one hand, they reprint a bunch of SPI games.  OTOH, they screwed me over on my subscription to S&T, so I don't like to buy from them.  Yeah, sure, TSR screwed me over on my S&T subscription, too, but TSR screwed over everybody who was subscribed to S&T when they bought the remains of SPI;  with Decision, it was more like they screwed me personally.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

QuoteA Kickstarter for playtest kits is scheduled for May 2017

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on February 20, 2017, 09:08:26 PM
QuoteA Kickstarter for playtest kits is scheduled for May 2017

:lol:

Why does that concept always remind me of some sort of pyramid scheme for a Miami timeshare, you just have to register for the 2-day seminar?

Tamas

Anyone feeling up for an Unconditional Surrender game via e-mail, sometimes meeting online for battle resolution when time permits?

What an excellent game it is.

Also, Balance of Powers has had a major rules update, seemingly addressing my main issues with it, so I could also be convinced to give that one a whirl.

Delirium

I like Unconditional Surrender too, but I just do not have the opportunity for any online gaming nowadays. Hope you find someone who does.

Yet to try Balance of Powers, would be interested in hearing you describe the problem and how it was fixed.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Quote from: Delirium on February 23, 2017, 06:33:49 AM
I like Unconditional Surrender too, but I just do not have the opportunity for any online gaming nowadays. Hope you find someone who does.

Yet to try Balance of Powers, would be interested in hearing you describe the problem and how it was fixed.

The default rules had a nice approach to handle advance in doctrine: every major battle you had as attacker, would advance your Tactical Innovation by one point. After a certain point, you rolled each turn to see if you changed into the modern doctrine (forget its name), ie. 1918-style warfare.

This is a single switch and has a profound effect. It doesn't guarantee strategic breakthroughs but sure makes them a lot easier!

My biggest complaint was that it seemed quite possible to get this advancement late 1916ish. Ok, it involved being a bit reckless with attacks, but didn't seem unreasonable to make a run for it.

They now have significantly changed this: you still gather points, but only for attacking entrenched defenders (in minor or major battles) and need a lot more points.

Also there have been a change to the sequence of play to avoid abusing it in regards to out of supply status (the check was made for both sides after both had their movements. Now its checked separately, after a side's action phase is over).

I have not read the rulebook with the latest updates so there could be other important bits, and I haven't tested the new rules of course, but I liked that it's still being worked on its problem areas, as its the best strategic WW1 game out there.

Delirium

Hmm, it does sound promising that they are willing to go back on trouble areas...will probably need to check this out some time this year.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

MMP has a new title up for preorder, 11B take note--

MOAR KHARKOV
http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/350/Default.aspx
VCS Series.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

STFU

GTS Bastogne is on the horizon.

You've got to read up on the MMP CSW thread, going back to March 28 or so. :lol:

For fuck's sake, you'd think MMP was trying to take away peoples' guns and give them to black people from the UN or something.  The invective they stir is downright GOP fever-style.  I just don't get it.

Ed Anger

Looks at the Bastone game....

Dammit. Sucked back in.

I'm scanning that thread.  :lol:

celedhring

About to finish the Pandemic Legacy campaign. It kinda peters out towards the end, but it's still a very interesting concept.

I have also decided to board the Gloomhaven hype train after playing some scenarios on TTS. Shit's addicting.

Delirium

I have to admit that GTS Bastogne game looks good.

Tamas

Yeah, finally somebody is covering the Ardennes Offensive