And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on February 16, 2017, 10:25:36 PM
So MMP is the Trump backed wargaming company?

It's the Trump-backers-backed wargaming company.  Curt Schilling has gone off the damn deep-end...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on February 16, 2017, 09:39:38 PM
I am sure MMP has their counter screw ups as well.

GMT also pushed the envelope quite a bit more than MMP - they try different printers, different products with different make up, they have a radically larger and more diversified product mix. All that is going to lead to more issues overall, but I suspect the rate is broadly similar.

And frankly, I would put up with a higher chance of there being some issue if it means

1) The product is half the cost, and
2) The company is well known for always making good on their product, even if they do have the occasional issue.

MMP's counter screwups have been nowhere near the scale of GMT's, though.  Not even close.  And, though GMT does produce more than MMP, I would be willing to gamble that their "rates" are nowhere near identical if averaged out.  When's the last big counter kerfuffle come up for MMP?  Can you even name one?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on February 16, 2017, 11:09:50 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 16, 2017, 09:39:38 PM
I am sure MMP has their counter screw ups as well.

GMT also pushed the envelope quite a bit more than MMP - they try different printers, different products with different make up, they have a radically larger and more diversified product mix. All that is going to lead to more issues overall, but I suspect the rate is broadly similar.

And frankly, I would put up with a higher chance of there being some issue if it means

1) The product is half the cost, and
2) The company is well known for always making good on their product, even if they do have the occasional issue.

MMP's counter screwups have been nowhere near the scale of GMT's, though.  Not even close.  And, though GMT does produce more than MMP, I would be willing to gamble that their "rates" are nowhere near identical if averaged out.  When's the last big counter kerfuffle come up for MMP?  Can you even name one?

Yes, yes I can. Pink SS.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Delirium

Stonewall Jackson's Way II, a reprint of the first game in the series on the summer of 1862. It also adds a "new" game called All Green Alike about the campaign leading up to first Bull Run. A lot of things in the box, although I was a little disappointed that some of the new scenarios require maps from another game. But okay, I understand the idea about counters and maps in previous games being used in coming releases to be able to cover as much of the war as possible.

On quality: I may be wrong, but production quality in SJWII seemed just a little lower than in BAC? Graphics great (if you accept the busy unit counters, as in BAC, but maps easily on my top 10 list of wargame maps of any period, Mr Kibler is #1 in my book); but the cardstock is a little thinner in the charts, the books have thinner paper...things like that. I understand there are five years between the games.

On MMP vs GMT: I dunno if they are really comparable companies? GMT produce everything (some say too much): some of it will have lesser quality. MMP have ASL modules and maybe a handful of other games each year? I can see the point that MMP do not have as flagrant cock ups EXCEPT War of the Suns which was a disaster, but I put that blame on Starkweather; and come to think of it people were complaining about The Greatest Day as well...same culprit, see the pattern? Given output quantities perhaps the clutz level is about equal?

For me personally I do not view either GMT or MMP as a "risk" company when buying games. Decision, now on the other hand...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Great, only now do I realize that Roads to Gettysburg II really updates and reprints three games in one. I signed up for the preorder bundle, of course.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

Yeah, I am really tempted by that bundle...

The couple times I've played GCACW, I've been really happy with the system. The campaign game me and Habs did of Grants campaign was pretty awesome, at least as far as we got...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

I can imagine some things can become a bit repetitive after a while, but I suppose that is true about any game with scenarios/campaigns simulating longer time periods. I see two rules that are important in the long run: unpredicted turn ends (here only in advanced rules) and hidden forces (here an optional rule). Both make for more interesting (and uncertain) decision-making.

Our ACW theme also includes Thunder in the Ozarks, Revolution Games title on Pea Ridge; and the old "classic" War for the Union. Three different levels of war, very much looking forward to all three.

The Brain

Is it variable what the war is about?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on February 18, 2017, 05:48:03 AM
Is it variable what the war is about?

Two-sided maps;  States' Rights on one side, Abolition on the other.

The Brain

Got some of the extra stuff for Conan: Yogah of Yag (the guy from Tower of the Elephant), Kushite Witch Hunters, and Crossbowmen. I'm getting this stuff for the figures (they are very nice), the boardgame itself doesn't interest me much (the rulebooks failed miserably to draw me in). The figures might come in handy when the new Conan RPG is released this year (yeah I'm a backer).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.