News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Don't gimme that bullshit.  Most people can only dream about driving a motorized scooter everywhere.

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on February 11, 2017, 11:08:09 AM
:yeah:

The scenarios are really fun and all, but wait until you play a campaign.

Actually, wait until you play the same campaign for, oh, the third time.  The first couple of times, you are going to make a big error in the second week or so and not realize it until week three.   :P

Played scenario 1, McLemore's Cove tonight and introduced a third player. Really good scenario, lots of space and interesting/frustrating choices for both sides. Easy to divide into teamplay too. It has been a while since I was this enthusiastic about a new game.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

What game are you guys talking about?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I just had to get SJWII as well. Hesitating about the double preorder special at MMP though for Atlanta and RTG reprint. I will get them but it is a lot of money even at a discount, plus the extra punishment fees for outside EU imports is a killer...

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Do it now. Plan ahead. Set up a jar in the kitchen, and toss your pocket change in it.  You'll be ready for that hit if you plan ahead

Berkut

0 rows returned

Habbaku

They'd fuck up half the counters, issue an update kit 6 months later, and a 2nd edition 2 years later?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

They would not be charging your first born for the game, more to the point.

I don't think I've ever seen any real evidence that GMT has an overall higher error rate than MMP...

0 rows returned

Habbaku

I think the last few years have shown that GMT's error rate is significantly higher than MMP's.  I can count 3 major kerfuffles in GMT's recent past off hand.  I can't do that for MMP.

To be fair, GMT does put out a lot more product than MMP.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Ugh, GMT. I'm sure they would add cards or make it about picking daisies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on February 16, 2017, 09:35:23 PM
I think the last few years have shown that GMT's error rate is significantly higher than MMP's.  I can count 3 major kerfuffles in GMT's recent past off hand.  I can't do that for MMP.

To be fair, GMT does put out a lot more product than MMP.

Hence the term "rate".

Pointing out the you know about X screw ups at GMT is not actually evidence of anything other than that the error rate at GMT is greater than zero.

I am sure MMP has their counter screw ups as well.

GMT also pushed the envelope quite a bit more than MMP - they try different printers, different products with different make up, they have a radically larger and more diversified product mix. All that is going to lead to more issues overall, but I suspect the rate is broadly similar.

And frankly, I would put up with a higher chance of there being some issue if it means

1) The product is half the cost, and
2) The company is well known for always making good on their product, even if they do have the occasional issue.

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

MMP stiffed me on the dice in their Cambrai game. ASSHOLES
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

GMT's games are printed in China, MMP's are not. 

Not much in savings when they lose so many units to shitty QA/QC, like all those Empire of the Sun mapboards that peeled from the shitty glue they used.  They do make nice boxes, though.  I've almost not minded getting three of them replaced from palette damage the last couple years.

Meh, GMT's positioning themselves to be sold anyway.

Berkut

So MMP is the Trump backed wargaming company?

0 rows returned