News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Whereas I am utterly pessimistic.  No way can it be any good, since it is WWI.

Let me know how it goes.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

2016 was almost entirely Napoleonics, 2017 is moving on to ACW. Me and my most regular opponent each bought a GCACW game (partly because of your devilish manipulation), for the past week I have studied Stonewall's Sword that I did not have time for last year (Revolution Games) and also ordered Thunder in the Ozarks, and finally I found an old copy of War for the Union that I will sink my teeth into at some point.

Fix bayonets!!!!
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

celedhring

The Arkham Horror card game and its expansion seems to be sold out everywhere in Barcelona. I had to order it from a Madrid store.  Looks like it's a smash. I happen to like it quite a bit.

Ed Anger

Good news! New version of Imperium Romanum is in the works!

Bad news: Decision is doing it. :(

Speaking of Decision games, if you add Highway to the Reich to the shopping cart on their site, it is discounted to 99 bucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ugh, I just can't deal with Decision Games anymore. 

Ed Anger

I'll just stick with the occasional magazine wargame with them now.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, but it needs to be S&T, and sparingly at that;  World at War doesn't have many winners, and Modern War has many more misses than hits.

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on January 17, 2017, 08:56:39 PMI'd strongly recommend the GCACW series if you haven't tried it already.  There's enough game in one box (Battle Above the Clouds or Stonewall Jackson's Way II) to last for a year.

And right you were. I am completely hooked so far, on my third scenario, albeit only basic rules. Enjoyable and simple mechanics, graphics excellent (although counters are a little too much), plenty of variation in scenarios, good play aids (and those extra roster sheets per scenario are excellent). Will in all probabibility get SJWII as well. One of those cases where you wonder why you did not get to it sooner and wasted your time with other games...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

:yeah:

The scenarios are really fun and all, but wait until you play a campaign.

Actually, wait until you play the same campaign for, oh, the third time.  The first couple of times, you are going to make a big error in the second week or so and not realize it until week three.   :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Me and my regular opponent are both delving deeply into the system: our plan is to play a bigger scenario in BAC next with two other gullible flexible fellows and then hit a campaign, either BAC or SJWII (he has that on its way).

If I could make s ginle wish for improvement in coming games it would be more manpower counters, so far there always seems to be a little too few to easily make change. We are talking valuable seconds wasted here, dammit!

Ed Anger

Speaking of civil war games, I'm sorta intrigued by Worthington's civil war block games. But they would end up like my last purchases, tossed aside in the shrink wrap.  :(

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Handicapped hang tag doesn't mean beloved, it just means preferential parking.   :mad:

Ed Anger