News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Right, so you choose to just be weird in a boardgaming thread. Very assburger of you. :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2017, 10:00:25 PM
Right, so you choose to just be weird in a boardgaming thread. Very assburger of you. :)

That's not assburgery.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

These guys are just big bullies, Habbaku.  Don't let 11B and the Mean Girl get to you, I don't.

Delirium

Is that Atlanta game worth getting? Unfamiliar with the series.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Somebody touched a Georgia nerve.

Berkut

I think the idea of a location in a game actually mapping to a real life location is kind of weird to us Americans.

I am sure Tamas can think of half a dozen different games involving his actual home town being burned down to the ground at some point or another in history...

It's tough for Southerners in America, since they are kind of all alone in that sense...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Delirium on January 10, 2017, 08:25:30 AM
Is that Atlanta game worth getting? Unfamiliar with the series.

It isn't out yet.  I think they slated it for summer release this year.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on January 10, 2017, 09:53:20 AM
I think the idea of a location in a game actually mapping to a real life location is kind of weird to us Americans.

I am sure Tamas can think of half a dozen different games involving his actual home town being burned down to the ground at some point or another in history...

It's tough for Southerners in America, since they are kind of all alone in that sense...

I have terror-bombed Barcelona in a smattering of Spanish Civil War boardgames many a time.

Torched Madrid even more often though!  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

"Those damned Federal troops burned down my slave-owning ancestors' plantation.  And the slave auction house. And they even chopped down the town's lynching tree. So sad!"

Well a-hyuck-hyuck-hyuck and a-fiddle-dee-dee. Y'all.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Even for my old home area: Played Holstein in EU1 & 2 and Vic2 a fair amount of times. Itzehoe is the capital of Holstein in CK2. My Mom's birth place of Deutsch-Krone (now Walcz) was in Vicky. Not to mention any Hansa based game with Lübeck/Hamburg as a focus (as early as 1980s Hanse). It was real fun in Darklands. Or playing the Saxons in a Rome:TW game.

I was miffed by the myriad spelling mistakes in Modern Campaigns: North German Plain. When I offered to correct them I was brushed off because "the names were taken from high detail NATO maps." Never mind that I could tell where the folding edges were based on the predictable typos. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

It must be a total riot to play WWII boardgames if you're born in Volgograd.  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2017, 12:30:08 AM
These guys are just big bullies, Habbaku.  Don't let 11B and the Mean Girl get to you, I don't.

Who is the mean girl?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2017, 08:08:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2017, 12:30:08 AM

Who is the mean girl?

I'm happy with me as I am, and there's nothing you can say that will change that.