News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

Not very impressed with Decision Games customer service.

I bought Hurtgen (the GOSS system) in late October and registered the game on their website to receive an errata kit. Automated reply, really cryptic. About a month later I start to punch the game and realize I have two copies of one of the countersheets and lacking another altogether. Email, again automated reply but this one saying they'd get back within 48 hours. After 72 hours I message them again and get a snarky response about the auto-reply giving me the info I need. I disagree and remind them that I need both an extra countersheet AND the errata kit. Now a quick response saying the order is at the warehouse (no apology). A few weeks later I get a package from DG, guess what? One countersheet included (the right one, good) but no errata kit. I get back again, stating the obvious. Reply is that the warehouse MAY have sent them in separate packages. I make no reply to this. After two weeks I email saying still no errata kit: the day after I get an official message that a package has been sent from DG to my address.

I am seriously discouraged from buying anything from them again?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

Sounds like DG, alright...

Their reputation over on CSW is terrible for similar reasons--you should post that there as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2017, 02:54:31 AM
Scythe. Thought it was quite good, although the boardgamegeek hype might be a bit OTT.

The BGG hype always is.  See also Agricola, Power Grid, Twilight Struggle, Caylus, the Legacy games, Through the Ages, Puerto Rico, War of the Ring, 7 Wonders, Dominion and many others.  Almost all of these are good games and many are great, but people go way overboard in their advocacy.

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on January 09, 2017, 11:04:31 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2017, 02:54:31 AM
Scythe. Thought it was quite good, although the boardgamegeek hype might be a bit OTT.

The BGG hype always is.  See also Agricola, Power Grid, Twilight Struggle, Caylus, the Legacy games, Through the Ages, Puerto Rico, War of the Ring, 7 Wonders, Dominion and many others.  Almost all of these are good games and many are great, but people go way overboard in their advocacy.

Kingdom Death seems to be the new golden child. I was tempted to get into the kickstarter, but damn, 200$+shipping...

The Brain

I'm tempted by Star Wars: Rebellion. Should I pull the trigger?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Star Wars: Rebellion is one of the best two player wargames to have come out last year.  Definitely worth picking up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Delirium

I agree with Habbaku, Star Wars: Rebellion is, unfortunately, a brilliant game. Why unfortunately? Because I really want to dislike FFG for the ridiculous pace they have in churning out new SW titles left and right. All those dozens of new games have to be tripe.

But instead it turns out to be a really great game. Dammit.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2017, 10:02:16 AM
Sounds like DG, alright...
Their reputation over on CSW is terrible for similar reasons--you should post that there as well.

I suppose. A bit reluctant to jump on the bandwagon though, I know a lot of people are complaining about DG already so it would not exactly be phenomenal news. I have grown a bit sentimental too, we need more gaming companies doing well than just GMT...

Habbaku

Don't reward bad companies like DG with your business, then.   :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Ordered Rebellion. This better be good.

Habbaku

Your failures are your own, old man.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Careful, Habbaku...you've been dangerously close to going full Euro and Ameritrash at the same time in recent months; you risk breaching the warp coil.

Habbaku

Just wait until the next GCACW game (Atlanta is Ours) comes out.  I'll be pushing all sorts of Johnny Reb gen'ruhs around.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Greatest loss in Atlanta Hawks history.