News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

It has knights and Ottoman hordes and Vlad the Impaler.  How is it not a wargame?!  :yeah:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2016, 01:50:27 PM
It has knights and Ottoman hordes and Vlad the Impaler.  How is it not a wargame?!  :yeah:

No panzers No count  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

Once again Habbaku manages to lure me into ordering a game. There was a single copy available in a domestic webshop, I took that as a sign and ordered Pax Renaissance, wargame or not.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

If you've played/enjoyed Pax Pamir or Pax Porfiriana, you'll enjoy this one too.  I recommend reading and playing through the game solitaire before settling in for a day with friends, however.  The game is filled with some interesting concepts that aren't intuitive at first grasp (the repression mechanic, for instance), and might leave some people wondering why that stuff matters until they get blindsided by it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Fuck, man.  First the Republicans go full Russian, now Habbaku has gone full Euro. You never go full Euro.

Delirium

I'd say Phil Eklund is Phil Eklund, he makes special games...

We did enjoy Pax Porfiriana, my problem with that was that the components in the 1st edition made the game slightly less accessible than it needed to be: card text almost illegible, chips flying all over. This game seems more user-friendly.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Delirium on December 19, 2016, 05:16:35 AM
I'd say Phil Eklund is Phil Eklund, he makes special games...

Right whatever he's doing it's not eurogames.
I don't get this no panzers = eurogame.  Is Republic of Rome a Eurogame?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Stop being Razzy, MM.  It's unseemly.

Delirium

I brought up Liberty Roads a while back and I have to say it is a solid gaming experience. Easy to play but challenging enough for both sides. I can see the campaign being played by three or four serious hombres over 1.5 to 2 days at a convention.

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on December 20, 2016, 03:11:24 AM
I brought up Liberty Roads a while back and I have to say it is a solid gaming experience. Easy to play but challenging enough for both sides. I can see the campaign being played by three or four serious hombres over 1.5 to 2 days at a convention.

It's been on my table since October, I'm about halfway through the campaign :blush:

11B4V

It's got panzers. :showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Delirium

Quote from: Maladict on December 20, 2016, 08:56:36 AM

It's been on my table since October, I'm about halfway through the campaign :blush:

I'm starting turn 8. At this point I'm averaging one turn a night, which is a good pace for me solitaire.

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on December 21, 2016, 03:29:08 AM
Quote from: Maladict on December 20, 2016, 08:56:36 AM

I'm starting turn 8. At this point I'm averaging one turn a night, which is a good pace for me solitaire.

I'm struggling to find a good use for paras. I usually throw them in during landings because why not, but after that I'm not seeing a lot of decent opportunities. Maybe when I reach the rivers :monty: