Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 04, 2016, 08:44:48 PM
This is why we can't have nice things:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd16563/14384

:lol:  Ooh ooh, I wanna be a Teutonic Knight with a Prince Valiant page-boy bob cut, tossing Russian babies into a bonfire.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Still not as bad as Commisar Fatty on their East Front game box cover.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Sulla is taken.

However, Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa is still available.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2016, 09:35:57 PM
Still not as bad as Commisar Fatty on their East Front game box cover.

:lol: That is a fuck all cover. It's like Louie Anderson's face caught fire and somebody put it out with an ice pick.

celedhring

Looking for a new game to play quickies with some guys I often meet for lunch. What are Languish' recommendations for games that can be played under 60 minutes?

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2016, 01:55:23 PM
Looking for a new game to play quickies with some guys I often meet for lunch. What are Languish' recommendations for games that can be played under 60 minutes?

Get yourself a deck of cards?

Maybe I'm just too cautious to let my nerd flag fly in public, but a nice game of hearts sounds like the thing in that situation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

How many people, how complex?  Here are some easier to learn ones.

Machi Koro: Bright Lights Big City is a simple game that plays in that time range and can accommodate up to 5.  Not deep but easy to learn and a good amount of replay.  Anyone who has played Settlers of Catan will pick it up very fast.  The other versions of Machi Koro are ok, but I think this is the best one.

Splendor is a quick playing card game about collecting gems.  I'm not a big fan but many other people like it.  Up to 4 players.

Love Letter can play very quick, a hand can be finished in a couple of minutes.  Deduce from your opponent's play what their card is.  Up to 4.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2016, 02:06:39 PM

Munchkin.

Edit: The game. I'm not calling you a munchkin.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

We burnt Munchkin long ago. It was our first quickie game and we just played it over and over. One of them has Splendor and it hits the table pretty often, that's actually the kind of game we'd be looking for, something quick and easy, but that has a decent amount of strategy in it.

I'll check Machi Koro, there's even a Spanish version.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2016, 02:06:39 PM

Maybe I'm just too cautious to let my nerd flag fly in public, but a nice game of hearts sounds like the thing in that situation.

You are way too cautious.  Board games are mainstream now.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Machi Koro is a good recommendation, but you may also wish to consider Pacific Typhoon from GMT for something a little meatier.  If your friends play reasonably quickly, you can get a game done in ~45-50.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

I assume you guys have tried 7 Wonders as well?  That's hitting about at your time limit, though.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

If you have 6, they play games fast and are feeling ambitious you could also go for Quartermaster General.  It says 90 minutes but 60 or less is very doable.