News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Hey, Habbaku, you got any inside scoops on what the deal was with Adam Starkweather and MMP parting ways?

Berkut

I picked up Seafall on kind of a spur of the moment whim.

I think the idea of a Legacy game is pretty awesome. Whether it actually works or not in reality I ahve no idea.

Componenet wise, it is gorgeously done. Which seems kind of weird to me, that I am supposed to play this beautiful game...once.

Then what? I just throw it away?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2016, 07:59:21 AM
I picked up Seafall on kind of a spur of the moment whim.

I think the idea of a Legacy game is pretty awesome. Whether it actually works or not in reality I ahve no idea.

Componenet wise, it is gorgeously done. Which seems kind of weird to me, that I am supposed to play this beautiful game...once.

Then what? I just throw it away?

I am not too familiar with that game but it's not just one session, is it? IIRC Risk Legacy was what, 15 sessions worth of stuff?

In the heydays of my boardgaming (just a few years ago :( ),  we met at least once a month, usually every two weeks, had a dedicated group, but I think we only approached breaking the same game out 10 times, let alone 15.

I think its a psychological issue for collectors, rather than a real one.

Berkut

Yep, 15 games. I don't know if you can play more than 1 game per session.

But whatever the number is, just from the standpoint of the physical game itself, it is really high quality. Like War of the Ring level of stuff. Throughout play you put stickers on things, write on things, etc., etc. It just seems a shame to just toss it afterwards.

And 15 plays is a lot, but hell, I've played War of the Ring more times than that, HiS/VQ many, many more times than that, PoG more times, etc., etc.

Anyway, it is what it is, and I am willing to give it shot. At the end of the day the game was $70, and if I get 15 4 player games out of it and it is fun, that is well worth it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

We played Pandemic Legacy for 6 sessions, and despite loving the whole concept and enjoying the curve balls the game throws at you after each scenario, we couldn't finish it. Despite all the twists and turns, and sudden rule changes, etc... it was still Pandemic, and while we enjoy Pandemic 10-ish sessions of it it's just a bit much.

Delirium

In the war department, I preordered this some time ago and it looks to be about ready:

http://italianwars.net/games/1813_napoleons_nemesis

Also, has anyone tried Holy Roman Empire? I bought it, looks straightforward enough, but gets very little attention...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

I picked up a copy of HRE.  I am selling it soon.

Ed Anger

Got SPI's Descent on Crete. Mint. Well, 40 year old mint.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stolen from BGG, MMP's upcoming sale:

QuotePrice list from the email that just arrived:

A Most Dangerous Time [$25]
Angola [$42]
A Victory Lost [$20]
April's Harvest [$17]
Action Pack #6 [$20]
Action Pack #9 [$19]
Action Pack #10 [$11]
Action Pack #11 [$14]
Action Pack #12 [$9]
ASL Journal #2 (reprint) [$28]
Best of Friends [$9]
Beyond The Rhine [$74]
Bloody Ridge (ziplock) [$11]
Breakthrough: Cambrai [$22]
Champion Hill [$17]
Day of Days [$66]
Decision at Elst [$36]
Guadalajara [$19]
In Their Quiet Fields [$18]
Karelia '44 [$24]
Kawaguchi's Gamble [$25]
King Philip's War [$25]
Korea: The Forgotten War [$50]
Leros [$22]
Lincoln's War [$44]
No Question of Surrender [$38]
Out of the Attic 2 [$11]
Rock of the Marne [$22]
Rivers to the Reich [$11]
Salerno [$24]
Special Ops #1 [$14]
Special Ops #2 [$14]
Special Ops #3 [$14]
Special Ops #6 [$18]
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu [$25]
Storm Over Stalingrad [$25]
The Greatest Day [$146]
The Kingdom of Heaven [$44]
The Mighty Endeavor (Exp) [$32]
Tide At Sunrise [$22]
Turning the Tide [$11]
Yom Kippur (ziplock) [$11]

Grab that copy of Rock of the Marne. Always on sale.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

There are some really good buys on that list if you don't already have them.  Storm Over Dien Bien Phu and Angola are great.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Does anyone have actual experience with the new GOSS games from Decision? I know Wacht am Rhein struggled for a long time getting the rules straight. On the other hand there are people around here who played Atlantic Wall and made it work (albeit slowly). Decision have a really poor reputation in my book, but the series rules were updated in September 2016 and the series seem to have gotten some attention at last. The third game, Hurtgen, interests me right now. What say you?

CountDeMoney

Their reputation stayed poor, as far as I'm concerned.  Like everything else DG, they're errata fests.

11B4V

Quote from: Delirium on October 25, 2016, 01:20:50 PM
Does anyone have actual experience with the new GOSS games from Decision? I know Wacht am Rhein struggled for a long time getting the rules straight. On the other hand there are people around here who played Atlantic Wall and made it work (albeit slowly). Decision have a really poor reputation in my book, but the series rules were updated in September 2016 and the series seem to have gotten some attention at last. The third game, Hurtgen, interests me right now. What say you?

You shouldn't have to make it work.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".