And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 03, 2016, 08:14:21 PM
Some old friends want to play wargames the day after Thanksgiving. :w00t:

Will anything published after 1985 be played? Highly doubful.

Star fleet battles and Avalon hill flat box games. AGAIN.

A good wholesome game of, The Campaign for North Africa.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on October 03, 2016, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 03, 2016, 08:14:21 PM
Some old friends want to play wargames the day after Thanksgiving. :w00t:

Will anything published after 1985 be played? Highly doubful.

Star fleet battles and Avalon hill flat box games. AGAIN.

A good wholesome game of, The Campaign for North Africa.

:bleeding:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Any of the Languish crowd given the new Star Trek game a whirl?  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193949/star-trek-ascendancy

Looks pretty good, and seems to be getting rave reviews, too.   :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Jesus H. Milton Bradley Christ, Habbaku.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on October 03, 2016, 09:52:15 PM
Any of the Languish crowd given the new Star Trek game a whirl?  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193949/star-trek-ascendancy

Played it with Jeff and Greg this week.

I give it a solid B. Has some flaws, and I don't know that the balance is quite right.

It is a standard economy game, with a exponentially growing economic model (you need stuff to build more stuff to make more stuff...) and there is no means to slow that growth, so if you have  a bad first turn or two (roll badly when exploring, ship dies, no colony for you) then there isn't any way to catch up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

How far into the rules did you read?   :hmm:  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Get this one instead: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/79127/star-trek-fleet-captains

It's more like an adventure-strategy than a crunch Euro numbers strategy, but has awesome, awesome Star Trek feel to it.

Ed Anger

There is gonna be a magazine game on a hypothetical Soviet intervention in Poland in '81.

POTATO SMASH

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 05, 2016, 08:26:33 PM
There is gonna be a magazine game on a hypothetical Soviet intervention in Poland in '81.

POTATO SMASH

Sounds like something DG would do.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

If DG does it, it will require enough errata and corrected counters to make another game, so they could market it as intervention in Poland in '18.  Yay, DG.

I am looking forward to Next War: Poland, though. 

It's not 1939 anymore;  goofy ass cossacks would think they got hussar horse cock.

Ed Anger

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on October 03, 2016, 09:52:15 PM

I ordered it. Will probably order the Ferengi and Cardassian expansions as well if it is any good. Hits me right on time for some Star Trek nostalgia for the 90's casts...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Don't forget your Wesley Crusher Real Dolltm