News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Block game, actually.  Appears to be a pretty novel take on the whole theater, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on September 13, 2016, 10:09:43 PM
Block game, actually.  Appears to be a pretty novel take on the whole theater, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reminded me of this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21414/last-man

Valmy

Quote from: Delirium on September 08, 2016, 10:31:48 AM
Good points, and I will not disagree. I could start even earlier.

Key moment for me in WW2 is the fall of France. I come down on the side of those who think this is a very unlikely event to occur the way it did (for one thing German generals), for example in Simonitch's France ยด40 designer notes. We take a quick collapse for granted with historical inevitability and know what to attribute this to (French inertia, Germans leading from the front etc), but what if it is a fluke and the war takes a year, two years?

There is no Barbarossa in 1941 obviously. Probably not a Japanese Pearl assuming the two theaters are in any way connected. The US is not involved. Stalin keeps expanding. Is this still WW2?

In games, France has to go down the way it did or it fudges up the game (like Brain said I think).

A WW2 strategy game should probably start in the summer of 40 for that reason. If you are a French player who knows what happened you can make France last much longer unless the rules of the game compel you to collapse somehow, and then why have a French player at all?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on September 07, 2016, 04:51:29 PM
Der Weltkrieg

I liked how you could get the French cavalry up there defending the Belgium forts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Who would be interested in a Republic of Rome PBEM ran by Habbaku?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on September 16, 2016, 07:39:02 AM
Dead of Winter is better.

Wow that looks like it has quite a fair amount of parts:

QuoteBox Contains
10 Dual-Sided Main Objective Cards
24 Secret Objective Cards
10 Betrayal Secret Objective Cards
10 Exiled Survivor Secret Objective Cards
30 Survivor Cards
5 Player Reference Sheets
1 First Player Token
25 Starting Item Cards
20 Police Station Search Deck Cards
20 Grocery Store Search Deck Cards
20 School Search Deck Cards
20 Gas Station Search Deck Cards
20 Library Search Deck Cards
20 Hospital Search Deck Cards
20 Crisis Cards
80 Crossroad Cards
25 Wound Tokens
20 Helpless Survivor Tokens
20 Food Tokens
20 Noise Tokens
20 Barricade Tokens
6 Starvation Tokens
2 Track Markers
30 Zombie Standees
30 Zombie Tokens (use if you run out of standees)
30 Survivor Standees
60 Plastic Standee Stands
1 Colony Board
6 Location Cards
1 Rulebook
30 Action Dice
1 Exposure Die
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

It does have a lot of pieces, but it only appears to be intimidating.  It's actually quite easy to play.  They provide an extensive amount of pieces due to space available on the counter sheets more than any actual need for that many.

The game is primarily played with the dice and the various card decks.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I have been trying to get my group to play Dead of Winter to no avail, so I'd gladly join a Languish game.

Tamas

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

BROKEN?! :ultra:

What about that founding fathers game then

Habbaku

If Languish can handle Dead of Winter without imploding, I will run Founding Fathers.   :sleep:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas