News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2016, 07:08:51 AM
So Falling Sky and the Briton game is/will be no good either?

I can neither confirm nor deny that statement.  I am sure there are plenty of eurogamers who think they're playing a wargame COIN fans out there that can, though.

Habbaku

If any of them have the chance of actually being good, I would suspect it'd be one of those two, with a leaning towards the Briton game.  Those are the ones that might very well do away with a lot of the conventions of the series and lean more towards trying to be a great game than an arbitrary 4-player Euro like Liberty or Death is.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on August 04, 2016, 04:53:54 PM

If any of them have the chance of actually being good, I would suspect it'd be one of those two, with a leaning towards the Briton game. 

Not that into fantasy fiction games though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

You should probably avoid the COIN series entirely, then.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on August 04, 2016, 04:53:54 PM
than an arbitrary 4-player Euro like Liberty or Death is.

But the Indians, man!  They were there!

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2016, 04:19:26 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny that statement.  I am sure there are plenty of eurogamers who think they're playing a wargame COIN fans out there that can, though.

Well, with you never playing any games that's understandable.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on August 04, 2016, 06:49:25 PM
Well, with you never playing any games that's understandable.

And there are hookers chained in my basement even though I live on the third floor.  MOAR MEMES PLEASE

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on August 04, 2016, 04:53:54 PMIf any of them have the chance of actually being good, I would suspect it'd be one of those two, with a leaning towards the Briton game.  Those are the ones that might very well do away with a lot of the conventions of the series and lean more towards trying to be a great game than an arbitrary 4-player Euro like Liberty or Death is.

My only personal run-in with COIN so far has been two games of Fire in the Lake which felt very convoluted with four players, too many things going on at the same time. My hope was that there are games with slightly fewer levers than that.

On it not being a wargame, I have no illusions. If it is an advanced version of 1775: Rebellion, it works for me.

I did some reading that suggested that Liberty or Death works well as a 2-player game which is probably the way I will use it at first.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on August 04, 2016, 06:13:26 PM
You should probably avoid the COIN series entirely, then.

Yes but at least some of those games have real factions in them.  As opposed to "Dux" and "Civitas"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Delirium on August 03, 2016, 06:19:46 AM
Gentlemen, anyone tried Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection? I am very much on the fence about COIN but I had to indulge my 1740-1815 period fetich so ordered it today.
I'm intrigued.  I'd love to be able to try out a Rev War game.  I'm a big fan of the 1740-1815 stretch as well.  It seems like they need to do some more research, at least from the little I read.  "War Chief Joseph Brant and later War Chief Cornplanter give you the ability to mount a decisive attack with your War Parties" as an example.  Brant wasn't taken seriously as a leader within the native community till later in the war.  Old Smoke and Cornplanter were the top two at the outbreak of the war and only the age of Old Smoke made either lose their influence or positions at the top.  Brant was "Molly's little brother" and much more tied to the British establishment than he was the native community.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Delirium

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 05, 2016, 02:52:15 PMI'm intrigued.  I'd love to be able to try out a Rev War game.  I'm a big fan of the 1740-1815 stretch as well.

:frog:

If a game has people with wigs, Frenchmen, muskets and/or Frederick the great somewhere, it stands the test. When it comes to real wargames I am halfway to learning the BAR system, and own the Monmouth game. Intriguing system, but a lot of detail.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

For you Twilight Struggle fans...

In 1697 the Sun King, Louis XIV, emerged from a decade of war with his Continental ambitions still unsatisfied. Meanwhile, King William III of England sat easier on his new throne than he ever had before. With the Spanish succession crisis unresolved and looming, there were no illusions that the new century would be a quiet one. But neither France nor England could have anticipated the tumult of the years to come: a Second Hundred Years' War, during which these two tenacious adversaries would compete fiercely and proudly along every axis of human achievement. On battlefields from India to Canada to the Caribbean Sea their armies and fleets would clash; in the salons of Paris and the coffee-houses of London the modern world's politics and economics would be born; and finally a revolution would rock the foundations of society – a revolution that could have ended not in blood and terror but in a triumph of democracy and liberty that might have transformed the world beyond imagining.

Imperial Struggle is a two-player game depicting the 18th-century rivalry between France and Britain. It begins in 1697, as the two realms wait warily for the King of Spain to name an heir, and ends in 1789, when a new order brought down the Bastille. The game is not merely about war: both France and Britain must build the foundations of colonial wealth, deal with the other nations of Europe, and compete for glory across the span of human endeavor.

Imperial Struggle covers almost 100 years of history and four major wars. Yet it remains a quick-playing, low-complexity game. It aims to honor its spiritual ancestor, Twilight Struggle, by pushing further in the direction of simple rules and playable systems, while maintaining global scope and historical sweep in the scope of a single evening. In peace turns, players build their economic interests and alliances, and take advantage of historical events represented by Event cards. They must choose their investments wisely, but also with an eye to denying these opportunities to their opponent. In war turns, each theater can bring great rewards of conquest and prestige... but territorial gains can disappear at the treaty table. At the end of the century, will the British rule an empire on which the sun never sets? Or will France light the way for the world, as the superpower of the Sun King's dreams or the republic of Lafayette's?

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-599-imperial-struggle.aspx

Habbaku

Yes, I spooged all over it.  I'm friends with the developer and will be chronically bugging him to let me playtest.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I hope you spooged all over it in a powdered wig and breeches, Habby Lyndon.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien