News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

QlikView, anyone?

Started by Pedrito, April 20, 2011, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Does any of the languishites use QlikView as a tool for business intelligence? Has any of the local IT crowd implemented it in their organization? Has anyone heard of it?

We're considering it (rather: a package based on QV) for our company, and i'd like to have some user and administrator feedback.

TY  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Norgy

From the looks of it, it integrates several different database systems. I expect it'll run on a server with a minimum of hassle on client computers.

Never really heard of the system. Is it a CRM system like Siebel or some integrated prospect/credit check/CRM thingamajig to exploit poor small and medium businesses by badgering them into buying stuff they don't need?  :hmm:

Pedrito

It integrates all business data, coming from different sources and archives, in a easy to configure package for viewing and analyzing.
it's a sort of data warehousing software, except it's simpler, but don't ask me for technical details: I'm an archaeology graduate lent to business.
Having all the data integrated, one can use it for every kind of BI activity, not only CRM but financial forecasts, sales, inventory, etc.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Arvoreen

Our LATAM business unit did take a look at it, and they were suitably impressed.  I don't have any personal experience with it though, nor did they go ahead an make a purchase (but I doubt that was related to the product).  My understanding was that you could download and test drive it however....Might be worth a shot.

Valdemar

We use it and implement it at clients.

For small businesses and specific tasks, say a division or limited business area that doesn't need to be intergrated across platforms, now or later, it is fine.

Do NOT mistake it for a "real" or full Datawarehouse. It is limited in scope and especially limited if the needs are advanced, needs to be expanded or changes in reporting changes alot.

V

Pedrito

Quote from: Valdemar on April 24, 2011, 09:59:26 AM
We use it and implement it at clients.

For small businesses and specific tasks, say a division or limited business area that doesn't need to be intergrated across platforms, now or later, it is fine.

Do NOT mistake it for a "real" or full Datawarehouse. It is limited in scope and especially limited if the needs are advanced, needs to be expanded or changes in reporting changes alot.

V
Thanks Valdemar  :)

Can you expand a bit on the highlighted part, please?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Valdemar

A real DW is compartmentalised, in the sense that ETL, data storage, reporting cubes and reporting tools all are on separate layers, controlled by an overall datamodel, master and meta data.

However, as I understand it, in QV you build all of this into one platform, technically as well as physically, and as such changes to the model, multi reporting roles, new datasources, increased demands and loads, all have influence on QV.

As such, you will fairly easy hit either a limit on what yuo can do, or need expertise to maintain it.

It all depends on what you need. One source (say your financial system) limited reporting, and no foreseeable major changes. Go right ahead.

Sophisitcated reporting, multiple sources, multiple demands on reporting, foreseeable changes coming soon or often, large amounts of data? Go and build a real dataware house, layered, and with ability to change.

Hope that helps?

V

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h