News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

High School Senior Party - what's the score?

Started by Syt, April 18, 2011, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I recall hearing:

Stairway to Heaven
Comfortably Numb
In Your Eyes
The Chickendance
Love Shack
La Bamba

at my Senior Prom.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2011, 02:47:11 PM
GWAR

Yesssss.  The dude I got acid from in high school was always watching GWAR videos when we went over there.  Crazy shit, man.

Anyhow, the music at our parties was...well...mid-late 90's stuff.  Radiohead, Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Sublime, Green Day, Metallica, Bush, Nine Inch Nails.  Things like that.

This reminds me:  I've noticed the rock station here has started playing Bush again for some reason.

Monoriu

We don't have anything equivalent to high school senior parties.

Razgovory

Well, you would first need to have parties.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on April 18, 2011, 10:33:17 PM
We don't have anything equivalent to high school senior parties.

Well, we didn't have any school parties, but birthdays, barbecues, and other parties at friends' places.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

We didn't have that sort of party; but we did have "record socials" in the 6th form common room (actually a separate building of substantial size). Girls used to come from our sister school, in summer there were Scandinavian girls from the language schools  :perv:

....er, where was I?

ah, the music.....

Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin
Yes
Pink Floyd
King Crimson

........and others of that ilk.

Brazen

I had to look up what was hot in '86, so these aren't necessarily what was playing as I left school or what I liked, just what I remember hearing a lot of.

Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer
West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds
Kiss - Prince
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
You Give Love A bad Name - Bon Jovi
Why Can't This Be Love - Van Halen

I was actually listening to Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths and New Order.

syk

Metallica's Black Album
Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Cranberries' Zombie was played a lot
REM - whatever it was called
Nirvana's Nevermind

Josquius

Keeping it to contemporary stuff that I liked then- British Sea Power, Franz Ferdinand, Fiery Furnaces, White Stripes, The Coral, etc....

So...pretty much what I like now with a bit of alteration. Ah music was so good back in the mid noughties, where did it go wrong.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Damn, that was a long time ago. I forget the music. The class song was "Aquarius"; that's how far back, in the 70s. 

1870s     ;)

Savonarola

My senior year in high school (1989-1990) was the golden age of hair metal and the power pop ballad.  I remember hearing:

Motley Crue
Poison
Warrant
Skid Roe
Sammy Hagar era Van Halen

Even Guns n Roses got in on the act and followed up the truly badass "Appetite for Destruction" with the truly not-so-badass "Lies."  Plus the pop charts were dominated by Milli Vanilli, The New Kids on the Block and Billy Joel had the wretched "We Didn't Start the Fire."

There were some good albums, Depeche Mode's "Violator," the Cure's "Disintegration" and Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814" were all pretty big; but for the most part it's an era best forgotten.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2011, 04:18:47 PM
I remember Tom Chochrane Life is a Highway being played over, and over, and over again...

Good times.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)