News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Doolittle Raid Day, America

Started by CountDeMoney, April 18, 2011, 05:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteOf the 80 pilots and crew involved in this hazardous mission, 71 survived, one crew member died on bailing out, two were killed on crash landing, five were interned in Russia, and eight were captured by the Japanese. Of these, three were executed in Shanghai in October 1942, one died as a Prisoner of War, and the remaining four survived to be released at the end of WW2.

Of the survivors from this daring raid, twelve lost their lives later in the war.

Brazen

Is it a holiday there today or are you getting more of an opportunity to slack off at work these days?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2011, 05:02:42 AM
QuoteOf the 80 pilots and crew involved in this hazardous mission, 71 survived, one crew member died on bailing out, two were killed on crash landing, five were interned in Russia, and eight were captured by the Japanese. Of these, three were executed in Shanghai in October 1942, one died as a Prisoner of War, and the remaining four survived to be released at the end of WW2.

Of the survivors from this daring raid, twelve lost their lives later in the war.
Yeah, like Josh Hartnett so that Ben Affleck could fuck his woman without looking like a cad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

I especially sympathize with the two crew members who neither survived nor died in the raid.  That must've been confusing for them.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 18, 2011, 05:43:09 AM
No, not a holiday.

Fortunately we do not celebrate battles which I think is in bad taste.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 18, 2011, 08:32:19 AM
I especially sympathize with the two crew members who neither survived nor died in the raid.  That must've been confusing for them.
To which two do you refer?  The article, in common with many in wikipedia, is badly written.  Of the 80 crewmen, 77 survived the bailout/landings, three were executed, five imprisoned (of whom one died), and the remaining 69 made their way (eventually) to Allied lines (5 of them going from the USSR, where they had been interned).  I dunno what the author was thinking when he or she wrote that "71 survived."  Type for 77, maybe.  Or just bad math.  Or maybe just careless writing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 08:34:40 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 18, 2011, 05:43:09 AM
No, not a holiday.

Fortunately we do not celebrate battles which I think is in bad taste.
Do we celebrate battles which you think in good taste?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 09:04:13 AM
Do we celebrate battles which you think in good taste?

No since I find the celebration of battles to be bad taste.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 09:03:35 AM
To which two do you refer?  The article, in common with many in wikipedia, is badly written.  Of the 80 crewmen, 77 survived the bailout/landings, three were executed, five imprisoned (of whom one died), and the remaining 69 made their way (eventually) to Allied lines (5 of them going from the USSR, where they had been interned).  I dunno what the author was thinking when he or she wrote that "71 survived."  Type for 77, maybe.  Or just bad math.  Or maybe just careless writing.
To whichever two died, but were not listed.  It's logical to count those who died at the hands of the Japanese as essentially casualties of the raid.  But then you'd say that 73 survived.

I also wondered what the real story was with the 5 who were interned in Russia.  Did they really escape?  Or was there some wink-winking going on, where Russians released the Americans fighting against the Japanese without officially doing it.

Slargos

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 18, 2011, 09:12:57 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 09:03:35 AM
To whichever two died, but were not listed.  It's logical to count those who died at the hands of the Japanese as essentially casualties of the raid.  But then you'd say that 73 survived.

I also wondered what the real story was with the 5 who were interned in Russia.  Did they really escape?  Or was there some wink-winking going on, where Russians released the Americans fighting against the Japanese without officially doing it.
Not sure what "two died, but were not listed" means.  The article says that "71 survived, one crew member died on bailing out, two were killed on crash landing, five were interned in Russia, and eight were captured by the Japanese."  That's 71 survivors and apparently 16 non-survivors (though it notes that some of the non-survivors survived).  There aren't two missing from the list, there are seven additional persons added (some of whom presumably represent the non-survivors who survived).

The five from the USSR were unofficially released.  They paid an Afghan smuggler to get them out of the country, but clearly had been sent to the southern USSR to make this possible.

It is almost certainly not a mere coincidence that the only two Raiders who spoke fluent Russian were the pilot and co-pilot of the plane that flew to the USSR, but the full story behind this mission was never released.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

It says that out of 80 crewmembers, 71 survived, and 7 died in various ways.  My quip was about the two unaccounted for (80 - 1 - 2 - 3 -1 = 73 <> 71).

Razgovory

Those Mitchells were pretty versatile.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017