Samuel L. Jackson to play Martin Luther King on Broadway!

Started by jimmy olsen, April 17, 2011, 04:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I have a Motherfucking Dream!  :cool:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/15/us-stage-samueljackson-idUSTRE73E83B20110415
QuoteSamuel L. Jackson to make Broadway debut
roadway for summer run

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:43pm EDT

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Samuel L. Jackson will make his Broadway debut as Dr. Martin Luther King in the Broadway production of Katori Hall's "The Mountaintop."

"The Mountaintop" - which re-imagines events the night before the 1968 assassination of the civil rights leader - is being directed by Tony Award Nominee Kenny Leon ("A Raisin in the Sun").

Performances begin September 22 at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theater (242 West 45th Street), with an official opening taking place October 13.

Tickets will go on sale at a later date.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

:lol:

He can conclude one of his sermons with Ezekiel 25:17 and execute a white dude. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2011, 05:48:39 AMHe can conclude one of his sermons with Ezekiel 25:17 and execute a white dude. :)

It'll be like a Gallagher show, only different.

Eddie Teach

I looked up that passage, only the last bit of his speech appears to be accurate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2011, 02:49:44 AM
I looked up that passage, only the last bit of his speech appears to be accurate.

Heh yeah they pretty much made up that bible passage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

He's 62. MLK died aged 39. There are other black actors out there people!

Caliga

Maximus

He's the only one I can think of who might come close to having the gravitas. Even then I don't know. The rest of that generation are all comedy punks. Of course I may be missing someone.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

It would be fun to cast Michael Richards in that role. :cool:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2011, 11:00:22 AM
He's the only one I can think of who might come close to having the gravitas. Even then I don't know. The rest of that generation are all comedy punks. Of course I may be missing someone.

Matrix dude.
Denzel.

Razgovory

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2011, 09:17:22 AM
He's 62. MLK died aged 39. There are other black actors out there people!

It's Broadway, not a film, age doesn't matter as much since the actors are farther away from the audience.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

This was on in London last year, at the Trafalgar.  It got superv reviews.  I couldn't get/afford tickets :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2011, 01:31:42 PM
Matrix dude.
Denzel.
Yea good calls, especially Fishburne, I knew I was missing someone.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2011, 01:39:18 PM
Yea good calls, especially Fishburne, I knew I was missing someone.

What we don't have is a wealth of talented black actors with fat faces like MLK.