Fucking Chrome and Fucking Flash

Started by Scipio, April 15, 2011, 01:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Shockwave Flash player keeps crashing.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled both it and Chrome separately.  WTF?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Scipio

-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Barrister

Funny - my advice would be to stop using both Chrome and Flash. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Scipio on April 16, 2011, 07:27:30 PM
64 bit version of which?
of Flash.  Though I don't think it works on a 32bit browser, so the point is moot.

Use this:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Make a complete uninstall of both Chrome and Flash, not forgetting registry entries&all.

Reinstall Chrome, run it and go to a site where it will ask flash.  Then install it from there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2011, 07:33:04 PM
That's interesting, because my advice to you would be stop using Macs and abandon Protestantism for the one true faith.

Never could have predicted that.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on April 17, 2011, 06:17:46 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2011, 07:33:04 PM
That's interesting, because my advice to you would be stop using Macs and abandon Protestantism for the one true faith.

Never could have predicted that.

Well which is it?  Do you want me to abandon Protestantism, or do you want me to stay with the One True Faith?

Fucking Russians - can never make up their mind.   :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I just tried Chrome for the first time yesterday.  I like what I see so far.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

Quote from: Caliga on May 12, 2011, 07:01:38 AM

Enjoy your gaping security loopholes.

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on May 12, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 12, 2011, 07:01:38 AM

Like what?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Norgy on May 12, 2011, 10:59:01 AM

:blink: Wait, wait- are we talking about the same Chrome that still has no reported exploits?  It's a resource hog, and it's not the browser to use if you prefer to be selective about saving your history, but that's the first time I've heard it called insecure.
Experience bij!

Scipio

It may be a resource hog, but it runs better than the new Firefox.  Which is slower than whatever is really fucking slow.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

viper37

FF still has a memory leaks issues.

There's Chromium, too, wich is the basis for Chrome, but more secure as you generally have 1 or 2 versions in advance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jamesww

derspiess

The Chromebooks ( http://www.google.com/chromebook/ ) have gotten a lot of flak, but they're very interesting in certain usage scenarios.  For my personal use I'd prefer a laptop with a 'full' OS, but for my wife who uses nothing but a web browser, it'd be perfect (assuming I can break her of her IE fixation).  The chromebook boots in 8 seconds & the Samsung versions supposedly get 8.5 hours of battery life.  Plus if you pay the ~$80 premium for 3G, you get a monthly allowance of 100mb of mobile data (pretty modest, but good enough for email & light web browsing).

It might only be a niche consumer product, but I can see it really taking off in the business & education markets.  Educational institutions and businesses can buy (lease?) chromebooks for $20/$28 a month respectively for a two-year period.  If you add up the amortized cost over 2 years, it wouldn't make a lot of sense from a consumer perspective, but since it includes full support and warranty/replacement I can see organizations buying these things to reduce their IT support budgets.

In my company, we're only supposed to use our laptops to VPN into our desktop PCs-- running anything natively on the laptop is strongly discouraged.  So a full OS and large capacity hard drive are pretty much wasted.  A cheap, thin-client laptop would fit our needs perfectly.  The only major obstacle would be that the company is extremely conservative IT-wise & it would take a lot of convincing at the top to make such a jump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall